Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Cigar_Ben
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Building a floor to ceiling book case humidor - need advice

Guys,

I'm building a full length humidor in my new office the goes from the floor to ceiling (about 10 ft tall). How do I seal it and what wood do I use? I was going to build it like normal and maybe line it with spanish cedar laminate sheeting, but I have no idea where to get it. Any ideas? I don't want to make it out of full spanish cedar because I'm trying to keep the cost reasonable.

Cigar-Coop.com
Cigar_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Smoker06
Herf God

You could use those little cedar sheets that come in the top of a cab of cigars. Assuming that your bookshelf is 10'x4'x2' and has a glass front, you'd only have to buy 300-350 cabs.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
themoneycollector

I belive you could use a reasonable sheet of spanish cedar on the inside only to line it. But you would really want to make the shelves entirely of spanish cedar.

You also need to research the hardwoods that you want to use. Some won't work well due to the humidity of the inside.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
markwilson
Starting Member

yeah you are right...humidity spoils everything
Old 10-19-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Rifleman View Post
Guys,

I'm building a full length humidor in my new office the goes from the floor to ceiling (about 10 ft tall). How do I seal it and what wood do I use? I was going to build it like normal and maybe line it with spanish cedar laminate sheeting, but I have no idea where to get it. Any ideas? I don't want to make it out of full spanish cedar because I'm trying to keep the cost reasonable.
Take a ride over to New Orleans, smoke a cigar with Tommy, then stop by Riverside Lumber on Morrison Road in New Orleans east. I bought 1/4 inch SPanish cedar there years ago. Their stock in trade is exotic woods.

Well, it WAS before Katrina...might wanna call and see if they still have it...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Master Gates
Club Member

Hey Ben,

this is my opinion - and this often differs from many guys when they are building a humidor like this - and dont take it the wrong way....

DONT BE A CHEAP BASTID!

Having said that, you have one huge thing on your side right now - you are pretty much just having the build the inside and front of the humi since it will be built into the house as a bookcase.

My personal suggestion -

waterproof your walls with a coat or two of high quality latex paint. It doesnt really have to be "waterproof" but the better sealed off the walls are, the better.

spanish cedar has a nice look and you COULD line the inside with a spanish cedar veneer to get that look. I am a little uncomfortable with unfinished plywood veneer in a humi, so I would say to line it with a plywood veneer of another type of wood, like birch or maple, and then finish the inside with a water based clear coat and some lear caulking in the corner seams. You could attempt to finish the spanish cedar in the same way but spanish cedar seems to look better unfinished, and I think its just too hard to get a nice finish out if it.

Make your shelves out of spanish cedar. Dont use redwood or some other crappy soft wood like that. The spanish cedar shelves will hold up to the humidity like nobodys business and you will be glad you used that wood. If you are someone who doesnt like the smell of spanish cedar, honduran mahogany will work nicely as well.

The outside frame and the doors - not that much wood there, especially if you are having glass in the front. Dont get cheap here either - its not that much wood. Pick something nice looking that will hold up reasonably well to higer humidities. Teak is fantastic, so is honduran mahogany. Oak is alright, just make sure its not wet when you make the humi.

Since its a built-in, make sure you have an electrical outlet or two in there so you have have some active humidification if you want, even if you use beads now, you may want that option later.

This is one of the most economical storage methods for a large amount of cigars IMO. Good luck, and Im sure we would all love to see the finished product!
Master Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

Wink

PM @ ya

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
Cigar_Ben
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Thanks guys. I think ole Sancho has me hooked up.

Cigar-Coop.com
Cigar_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote