Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:57 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

A request from review readers

I'm sending out a general request to everyone who reads the reviews here to give me any critique of my reviews, good or bad (it wont hurt my feelings), and especially thoughts and ideas on what or how to make them better.

What information am I missing? What format would make for better/more useful reading? Are more pictures at different stages helpful?

Give me your ideas and opinions, keeping in mind that the outline form i fill out as I'm smoking has been ever evolving as new things come up, so the most recent couple reviews are what it would be best to base it on.

It would be greatly appreciated, as i enjoy sharing my experience with certain cigars if people feel my reviews are worth a crap, and I feel I'm constantly learning by doing them also.

I can also post the form if people think it would help them give me a better critique and/or ideas

Thanks,
Sean

I friggin love cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
bipolar
Club Member

Personally I think your reviews are fine. They seem to hit all the high points and have all helped me determine what I need to put on my list of cigars to try or not.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:18 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I, too, like your reviews, Sean. I am a wordy person, when I sit down to write (a rare occasion, these days) and many cigar enthusiasts enjoy long reviews. Many like the work and time that goes into a good review, and really WANT to know what the reviewer thinks of the cigar, but without so many words and adjectives, and that's good as well.

When folks are doing a web search for a particular brand and/or size, sometimes we want as many bits of information as we can gather. So a number of more direct reviews often help more than a few article length cigars. Yet, I write article-length reviews.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:11 AM   #4
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
I, too, like your reviews, Sean. I am a wordy person, when I sit down to write (a rare occasion, these days) and many cigar enthusiasts enjoy long reviews. Many like the work and time that goes into a good review, and really WANT to know what the reviewer thinks of the cigar, but without so many words and adjectives, and that's good as well.

When folks are doing a web search for a particular brand and/or size, sometimes we want as many bits of information as we can gather. So a number of more direct reviews often help more than a few article length cigars. Yet, I write article-length reviews.
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

I know whenever I'm looking for information on a cigar, I want to easily find the facts without digging through a page if fluff, so that is the tack have taken with mine, but i think there's definitely room for spicing it up a little without loosing the most wanted information people are looking for.

I really think jefslat has it down perfectly. Its a good read, and nice, pertinent pictures, but the facts are readily visible still as he doesn't get too wordy, which is my biggest fear since I tend to be a very wordy writer.

Obviously wont copy his style, but i think his reviews are a good guide on how a review should be done.

We'll see how I do with my next scheduled, early 2000's, nc's review from the ton of smokes Ljutic sent me a while back that I have been reviewing at the rate of 1 a week to make these treasures last.

Hopefully there will be some noticeable, good,improvement after doing some reading reviews all over online and seeing what works and what doesn't in my opinion.

I friggin love cigars
Old 08-29-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Cool. Thanks for responding guys.

I think the newest iteration of the form hits the last couple points I decided should be included, but if anyone knows of anything I'm missing, i would love to know.

Its slowly been changing as I did reviews when new things came up causing me to update the outline form. At this point I am out of ideas for anything that would be useful, and I try to keep it to just the facts and without all the fluff of most online reviews, although I did get a bit rambly on the most recent review.

Glad to hear they have helped you, bipolar. That's definitely part of the point of them, along with just being interesting reading about unique cigars and to help me learn more about cigars, which are my passion, by writing them.

I definitely have learned a lot by doing them

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 08-30-2022 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:31 PM   #6
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

In my opinion your reviews are progressing nicely as you develop your own style. Keep up the good work.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Ž £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:13 AM   #7
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslat View Post
In my opinion your reviews are progressing nicely as you develop your own style. Keep up the good work.
Thanks.

That carries a lot of weight coming from you.

I'm sure you more than anyone have seen the slow progression of information included and style of writing, of my reviews.

I'm hoping at this point the review outline form is complete as far as information, and now I can focus on a unique and more entertaining style without losing any information in the process.

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 08-31-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:35 AM   #8
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I enjoy your reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:34 AM   #9
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Ok, did a new review yesterday with a new style i think may be more appealing to more people.

Curious to see how its received by the membership

I friggin love cigars
Old 09-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #10
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Nice review of the Fuente.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote