Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Lighter filling issues

So, i have a Xikar 509BK Inpress single torch flame lighter, and a HONEY BADGER QUAD FLAME TORCH LIGHTER, and with Neon 11x and Colibri 1928 Premium butane, I'm unable to get either to fill with the can nozzle or any adapters that each comes with. Have also tried having the flame height adjustment to several different levels as i see that mentioned with a lot of lighters.

They have been completely purged of any butane or air, and the Honey Badger was brand new, and the Xikar was lightly used at most, so nearly brand new.

I was told by the vendor i got the Honey Badger from that she fills hers with the same Colibri butane with no adapter just fine.

Seems unlikely i got 2 defective lighters from different sources, so anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

I can fill my cheap Lotus Vertigo Cyclone triple flame torches and several others with either type of butane just fine.

I'm at a complete loss as to the problem and solution.

Thanks,
Sean

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:53 AM   #2
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbauerllc View Post
So, i have a Xikar 509BK Inpress single torch flame lighter, and a HONEY BADGER QUAD FLAME TORCH LIGHTER, and with Neon 11x and Colibri 1928 Premium butane, I'm unable to get either to fill with the can nozzle or any adapters that each comes with. Have also tried having the flame height adjustment to several different levels as i see that mentioned with a lot of lighters.

They have been completely purged of any butane or air, and the Honey Badger was brand new, and the Xikar was lightly used at most, so nearly brand new.

I was told by the vendor i got the Honey Badger from that she fills hers with the same Colibri butane with no adapter just fine.

Seems unlikely i got 2 defective lighters from different sources, so anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

I can fill my cheap Lotus Vertigo Cyclone triple flame torches and several others with either type of butane just fine.

I'm at a complete loss as to the problem and solution.

Thanks,
Sean

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I bought a can of the 5x refined butane. It had the different tips embedded in the cap (which are a complete pain in the ass to take out). It worked with a couple of my lighters, but not with most. I eventually bought another can that fills all my lighters without extra tips.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:48 AM   #3
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
I bought a can of the 5x refined butane. It had the different tips embedded in the cap (which are a complete pain in the ass to take out). It worked with a couple of my lighters, but not with most. I eventually bought another can that fills all my lighters without extra tips.
Yes, the adapters are a serious pain to get loose

Yeah, that's why I bought the Colibri butane and it doesn't fill just these 2 still, even though the person who generously sent me the quad torch said that's what she uses to fill hers.

Either brand, with or without any adapters, just doesn't fill them and i dont see or hear any movement, leak, etc of the butane. It doesn't even spray out around the fill stem as if the can was being depressed but not the fill stem which is very odd.

I at a complete loss.

Real shame as both are nice lighters.

Seriously considering passing them on in a bomb in the hopes the recipient is able to fill and use them as i hate seeing nice lighters going to waste.

Which 2 brands did you try?

I have Neon 11x (which is very cheap but seems very clean as i have used it on the same lighter for years and there wasn't even a hint of residue on the flame nozzles), and the Colibri Premium fuel, both of it work fine on my cheapo lotus Vertigo Cyclone triple flame torch lighters and a couple single jet unknown brands that I was given that have the names of different nc cigar makers on them.

I friggin love cigars
Old 07-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I buy the $5 torches at Maxwell's and if they don't want to take a refill, a new one is $5 away. Of course, I only buy 3-4 a year.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:00 PM   #5
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I buy the $5 torches at Maxwell's and if they don't want to take a refill, a new one is $5 away. Of course, I only buy 3-4 a year.
Yeah, that's what I pay for my Lotus Vertigo Cyclone lighters off Amazon that always work great and have no filling issues.

Just odd that the more expensive ones i was generously given dont want to fill no matter what I try

I friggin love cigars
Old 07-13-2022, 01:37 PM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

20+ years ago I was starting out and wanted a good lighter and cutter. Neither worked out. I get pissed when a $75 lighter or cutter underperforms. $5...not so much. Different strokes. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:17 AM   #7
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbauerllc View Post
Yes, the adapters are a serious pain to get loose

Yeah, that's why I bought the Colibri butane and it doesn't fill just these 2 still, even though the person who generously sent me the quad torch said that's what she uses to fill hers.

Either brand, with or without any adapters, just doesn't fill them and i dont see or hear any movement, leak, etc of the butane. It doesn't even spray out around the fill stem as if the can was being depressed but not the fill stem which is very odd.

I at a complete loss.

Real shame as both are nice lighters.

Seriously considering passing them on in a bomb in the hopes the recipient is able to fill and use them as i hate seeing nice lighters going to waste.

Which 2 brands did you try?

I have Neon 11x (which is very cheap but seems very clean as i have used it on the same lighter for years and there wasn't even a hint of residue on the flame nozzles), and the Colibri Premium fuel, both of it work fine on my cheapo lotus Vertigo Cyclone triple flame torch lighters and a couple single jet unknown brands that I was given that have the names of different nc cigar makers on them.

I friggin love cigars
Sorry it took so long to get back. It's the Xicar fuel. It has everything to do with the nozzle. The nozzle works in all my lighters. The other brand seemed like a bigger nozzle and only worked in my tabletop lighter. Everything else it just spurts lighter fluid everywhere.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:35 PM   #8
macsauce13
Club Member

I recommend the Xikar fuel. When I switched to it I stopped having lighter issues.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:14 AM   #9
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
I recommend the Xikar fuel. When I switched to it I stopped having lighter issues.
I actually did buy a 3 pack of the Colibri fuel as the person who gave me the lighter stated that is what she uses in her identical lighters and it works fine with no adapter needed.

Unfortunately not the case for me with it or my trusty Neon 11x which is cheap, but i have used it exclusively in a lighter for several years straight and not the slightest hint of impurities buildup or residue.

When i eventually need to get more fuel i will give the Xikar a try and see if it fits properly and will fill the 2 with issues.

I friggin love cigars