Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2002, 02:57 PM   #1
jchamb
Club Member

I had asked about the '97 Sanco Panza Belicosos about a week ago, and a find CW brother bearing the same name sent me a couple to try (Thanks again SP!)
Here's my take on this fine smoke - The wrapper is a medium brown EMS, and the cigars appear to be beautifuly constructed. One had a smooth, almost veinless wrapper, the other had a large vein running the length of the smoke, making it look rather rough. This is the one I fired up.

The cigar has a nice solid construction with a very slight 'spring' to it. Both the burn and draw were what I'd call perfect (razor straight burn throughout, easy draw with a ton of smoke!!). It created a nice firm medium-gray ash as it burned.

Taste was great! My first thoughts were of an RyJ Ex#4 - a nice, mild to medium Cuban cigar - but missing that "fruity" flavor that I sometimes get with the RyJ. It had none of that overpowering 'twang' found on the stronger cigars, but still had plenty of earthy flavor for first inch or so. Toward the middle I tasted a hint of chocolate, and still that good earthy Cuban tobacco flavor. This cigar turned into a real smoothie right at the middle, and picked up a nice creamy texture which lasted till I nubbed it.

If you're looking for a typically strong Cuban cigar, this ain't it. It is however, an excellent cigar with lots of flavor in a smooth and creamy tasting smoke. I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to try these before taking the plunge, and now I'm going to find a box before they're all snapped up!

I've heard that the '01s are good also, with a bit more strength - but if this was any indication, these things age beautifully! A great mild Cuban cigar for those times when you want to mellow out without getting your butt kicked.