Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
stonydell
Starting Member

Oliveros Gran Reserva Torp (Blue Label)

A box-pressed cammie torp with plenty of surprises...

Having always known Oliveros as being a flavored cigar company, I didn't really know what to expect when I clipped this smooth and seemingly well-constructed stick and put torch to foot. So with expectations low, I proceeded to take the first draw. Not a bad first impression. A slight bite and noticeable strong tastes. It seems to be a complex blend of tobaccos and nothing stands out as particular to any other stick I could think of, except perhaps the occasional Cuban Crafters stick. None of this to say it's not a good smoke. Far from that, as it stayed consistently flavorful and stood out as a damn good cigar. Great construction. I have for quite some time stayed away from box pressed cigars as I've gotten tired of their burn problems and seeming sponginess. This Oliveros possed neither problem. In fact, it only needed a touch-up once and that was from my own short break in smoking. Also, this stick bellowed smoke and made for quite a fun smoking experience.

I can only think to say that I would probably prefer a little more kick in the blend. But that's just me. I tend to like full-bodied smokes more than most people so I wouldn't register this one fine point as a negative against this fine cigar. Either way, I'd still classify this stick as medium-full.

I will say that this one stick has overwhelmingly and forever changed my former impression of Oliveros as a company with its only business in the flavored cigar niche. They definitely make a fine stick and hopefully this and their new line of XL for Men (change the name, for the love of all that is holy... it's not cologne) will help steer their image away from such dreck as peach and honey cigars.