Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Big Smoke
Club Member

cA advice... good or full of sheep dip?

Okay, I was reading cA online, and their "hot tip". Is it just me, or is does this "advice" make any sense?

Quote:
Q: I have recently been stationed in Guam, where the humidity is constantly above 90 percent and temperatures are always high. I have a reliable humidor, but I can't seem to keep my cigars from becoming soggy. What should I do?

A: You need to make adjustments to your humidor to allow for the greater absorption of humidity.

In environments where the ambient humidity is greater than the ideal 70-percent-at-70-degrees atmosphere that keeps cigars in ideal condition, there are two steps to take. First, the humidity regulator in your humidor should not be filled. If you leave it dry, it will absorb enough humidity to keep a humidor close to the 70 percent target level. To assist this process, you should remove the regulator from the humidor for a day or more so it releases the excess humidity. Second, remove the cedar dividers from your cigar boxes and place them between and beneath the layers of cigars in your humidor. The more cedar you have, the faster the humidity levels will adjust because cedar is hygroscopic, just like tobacco: it will rapidly absorb excess moisture. These procedures will help you attain the proper humidity conditions for your cigars.

If the humidity is 90% outside, how is taking the regulator out going to "dry" it out? If it were me, I'd put in 65% climmax beads, and forget about it. What do you think?
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ Ronaldus Magnus
Big Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote