Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

IPCPR new release: Cohiba Macassar

Quick Facts:
"The new Cohiba Macassar, introduced at the IPCPR trade show, is a new regular production cigar made in the Dominican Republic by General Cigar. The blend of the new three-vitola line features a Connecticut Havano leaf as a wrapper, a Connecticut Broadleaf binder and filler tobaccos from Nicaragua (Jalapa) and the Mao region in the Dominican Republic. The company states that all tobacco used in the blend was aged for more than four years including a year of finishing in Dominican rum barrels.

Cohiba Macassar will be available from August 2016 in the U.S.A. Three sizes will be launched initially, each sold in 10-count boxes.

COHIBA MACASSAR
Origin: Dom. Rep.
Wrapper: Connecticut Havano
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Dom. Rep. Mao, Nicaragua Jalapa

Vitolas: Toro Grande 152 x 20,6 | 6 x 52
USD 21.99 | Box/20 USD 219.90
Gigante 152 x 23,8 | 6 x 60
USD 23.99 | Box/10 USD 239.90
Double Corona 184 x 21,4 | 7.25 x 54
USD 24.99 | Box/10 USD 249.90"

.....as for my impressions...

Let me confess up front that I've never been a huge Cohiba fan, at least not the ones from DR. Not that I think they are bad, they just never have seemed to fit the flavor profile I tend to like.
I made sure to smoke this new offering on a fresh palate to get an honest idea of what this cigar may or may not offer.

I took a quick whiff from the foot and got a nice dose of cocoa and sweetness. After clipping the cap I took a cold draw and found the taste to match the aroma, one of semi-sweet dark chocolate.

Lighting up, my first sense was one of toasted almonds, a little bit of black pepper and that same dark cocoa....very nice! I'm not sure how to describe it, but there was definitely a core of that classic Dominican flavor to this smoke, but there was also some other flavors in play which gave it a nice, interesting balance.
So far, thru the first third to one half, the burn has been spot on with no corrections needed and the draw has been very much to my liking.....easy with just a touch of resistance. The strength has been steady at what I would describe as a solid medium and the flavor which started out on the lighter side has steadily developed into more of a rich medium to med/full.
I find myself really enjoying this cigar as there is quite a bit going on in the flavor department. I can taste the cocoa and the toasted almonds along with a sweetness from the Jalapa which reminds me of raisins.
The second half of the cigar maintains the complexity with an added bonus of becoming just a bit more intense and rich in the flavors described.
A very flavorful, complex smoke. A very smooth cigar, never becoming harsh, very balanced. The blender did a great job IMO in balancing the Dominican and the Nicaraguan filler in this one.
The burn remains true throughout along with an impeccable draw indicating a very well constructed cigar.
I great way to start the day, I hated to see this one end.

Overall, a VERY enjoyable smoke, one one that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. This is one of those cigars that you need to set aside for a time when you can savor the smoke and it's complexity. It's not one that will knock you down to get your attention, but instead entices with different notes of flavor to keep you in the game and focused on the moment at hand.

I may also mention that the presentation of this cigar is quite an eye-catcher as the box is finished with a thin veneer of the wood which inspired the cigars name. This new entry is the sequel to the Cohiba Comador which is no longer being produced. With a rather "premium" price, certainly not an "every day" smoke.....at least not for me, but one that you may want to give a try on a special occasion.