Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
EZthefix
Starting Member

Cusano Corojo '97 Torpedo

Cusano Corojo '97 Torpedo
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

The Cusano Corojo '97 Torpedo has earned great marks from prestigious publications like Cigar Aficionado and others. It's also touted as "Dark and Spicy" on the manufacturer website. Since I have also heard them described as very full-bodied cigars, I set my expectation "gears" up for a powerhouse smoke and reached for the stick.

I had but pulled the cigar from the humidor, hadn't even lit it yet, when a shadow of doubt began to cloud my mind. The cigar had all the marks of a light bodied, rather blond cigar.

I clipped it, lit up with a nice cedar strip and the cloud of doubt got cemented in. This isn't a full-bodied cigar; it's light, very light... but on it went.

The smoke was plentiful, and smelled slightly peppery, buttery and spicy. A faint little stitch of leather lingered in the background of the lightly spicy flavors. I found the ash to be quite solid, though in my opinion this particular specimen had been rolled a bit too loosely; the resulting draw was a bit loose for my taste.

The cigar burned very well, never threatening to go out in the 90 minutes or so I smoked it in. There was a slight progression toward sweet woody notes with what I can only describe as a blond leather undertone. I say "blond" because it isn't like the dark leather notes of a full-bodied cigar. It is reminiscent of leather, but as if coming from a distinctly light-bodied stick and perhaps even blond tobacco. Does that make sense? It's quite unique, I must say, and a nice achievement for Cusano.

The last third of this torpedo rose quickly to a buttery cedar note accompanied by some spice. The smoker must beware though. Too much solicitation at this point can return some acrid notes and may even ruin the experience all together.

Keep it smoking cool, lay it down at the first sign of bitterness, and enjoy an agreeable finish for a good hour.

Overall, my first impressions were affected negatively by the overeager Cusano publicity. Labeling a cigar "Dark" and "Full-bodied" seems to be in fashion these days as smokers' preferences have moved in that direction of late, but in this case it proves counter productive. Since the manufacturer's description has found its way to major publications, I have undoubtedly come to question their objectivity.

Think light-bodied, maybe a light-medium, with spicy notes and that distinct leathery undertone, and I believe you will be pleased with this stick.
EZthefix is offline   Reply With Quote