Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
Billy Wyrick
Starting Member

Vacum seal cigars in container and then freeze!

I have seen some BIG tobacco beetles at the Cig. plant I work at here in Richmond Va. So as I am new to storing cigars I took notice of the freezing of sticks to kill tobacco beetle eggs. Only recently I have started smoking handrolled long filler premium sticks. I used to get a drug store pack of cigars three or four times during a year. I just bought a Savory 200 stick humidor and as I start adding sticks I plan to freeze them before they go into the box. Now here is my question. I got one of the vacum sealing machines that I use to vacum seal and freeze my deer meat with. It came with a couple of heavy plastic containers that has a top that when installed you can pull a vacum on tha container and it will seal. Push a seal button and the vacum is broke. I put in a couple of sticks and sealed the container, put it straight into the freezer, and left it their for a week. I removed to the fridge and let it set one day their. Then removed the sticks from the {vacum held on the container} container, and placed in with my other sticks. What do you think about pulling the vacum on the sticks before freezing? The vacum must effect any eggs that may be in a stick swelling them. Then the quick freeze. Should help insure breaking of any eggs present. I have let the two sticks rest for a few days and plan to burn one tonight. They feel just like they did before the vacum and freeze. The container I used is round and about 6" in dia. and 5 3/4" tall inside. So quite a few sticks wiil fit in it at a time. Longer sticks may be a problem. I plan to see if taller container can be had as I like a longer stick. Overkill? Maybe? I only smoke cigars. And sometimes I go days between burning a stick and then its only one a day, so my sticks will set in my humidor a bit longer than most. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Billy Wyrick
Billy Wyrick is offline   Reply With Quote