Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
DraKhen99

Ever seen the inside of a XiKar cutter?

... I have!

I noticed that for the past week or two, my XiKar [the plastic one], which is going on two years old, didn't have that snap in it - when you pull down the release, the blades wouldn't go out on their own. I compared it to a new one at my local, and figured it had gotten dirty inside.

I opened her up, and sprayed Windex in to help clean it - worked for another week.

Yesterday, I did the Windex thing, no dice. So I got the bottom screw out, and pulled the blades apart, and the spring came out, and then I unscrewed the release mechanism, and then the whole works came apart.

Basically, it's the two blades, which have intersecting sections, since they are layered, and the sections have a big notch in them where the release mechanism sits, spring loaded to hold it up. Also in there is a metal leaf spring which pushes the blades out once you pull down the release.

I ended up breaking the leaf spring [oops!] so the thing can be put back together, but it's not easy to use anymore. I think I'll buy another cutter at some point - until then, I'm using double-bladed guillotine I picked up some time ago.

-John

"He found the edge of the Cigar Cliff and just JUMPED off" - My friend, in reference to my quick escalation from non-smoker to cigar aficianado.
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote