Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
T2P

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

I posted this on another site but thought you folks at CW would benefit too so enjoy.

My smoking has been pretty stagnant lately as I have been in the process of getting married and as we have been out of town and then getting situated together there has not been a whole lot of time. Yesterday I realized that I have precious little smoking time before the cold hits (Hudson, Wisconsin drawback) and made a point of telling myself that today was going to involve a good smoke. Luckily this one did not disappoint.

The Vintage 1990 was a larger cigar both length and gauge wise than I typically smoke (mostly corona's). First impressions of the cigar were rather good. The wrapper of this cigar was nice and oily with very few large veins. The view of the filling was also very pleasing as the channels were evident and again only a couple of veins were evident and they were by no means large. The only negative was that the end had obviously been bumped slightly and the wrapper had about a 1/8th crack. This was definitely a problem on my part during the move and Lkyman had nothing to do with it. The burgundy and gold double bands look very sophisticated on the darker wrapper.

Looking at the cap, I noticed that the placement was perfect and very solid. On cutting it was very clean. Taking a prelight draw it did seem a little loose, which I found surprising. Using my torch lighter I started this one up and quickly had it going. First impressions yielded a light tasting smoke that was dense and very visible. First notes were velvety and included some tones of espresso and cocoa. The smoke became more dense throughout about the first inch or so.

At this point I began to notice the cocoa taste fading (the coffee remained slightly) and was replaced with a more earthy taste. The smoke turned to a slightly more dense taste and retained its full cloud. One drawback I did notice at this point is that the smoke was burning rather uneven. I am usually pretty good at getting them corrected by turning but this one would not cooperate so I performed a minor touch up.

Throughout the smoke there has been no bite, just smoothness. Also, the draw that I mentioned before did not prove to be too loose at all, it was perfect. At about inch two the light coffee flavor spiked to a distinct espresso one. Coupled with the dense creamy smoke that was still present the taste was very comparable to the bloom on a good cup of French Pressed coffee which I found wonderful. A good amount of light gray ash was forming at this point with little to no cracking.

From inch two to three the uneven burn came back again (such a nuisance) and required another touch up.

At about halfway through it was time to ash as it was getting ready to break. After doing so I am not sure if it was the fresh air coming through or what but there was a slight minty taste. Almost like peppermint or menthol but it did not last long nor was it a bad thing. Shortly after, the coffee faded into a more leathery taste. The undertones of it were still there but this smoke looked to be going someplace a bit bolder. The leather remained for much of the next inch or so. Another flavor began to incorporate that I couldn't quite place until about inch 4. I should have picked up on what it far sooner but it was pepper. The earlier stages tasted like a white pepper while at the later it developed into a more powerful black pepper.

One of the things that remained very consistent throughout still was the amount of creamy texture the smoke had. In addition, the coffee undertones came and went in various intensities throughout as well.

Towards about the 4.5 inch mark I was starting to get a bit of acrid taste. I forced my way through a couple more puffs and put it down. I ran inside quick for a short break and to grab some water. After taking a good pull and coming back out I took it up for one more chance. I must have been burning it a little too hot because it had cooled slightly and after taking a few more generous puffs I realized that I could take black licorice! I was so happy I took this one up for the last half inch just to get that flavor. I smoked this one down to about an inch where the acridness returned and that was the end of this stick.

Overall I have to say I am very impressed with this smoke. The coffee and creamy smoke stayed through until the bitter end which helped maintain a very nice flow. The unique thing, however, was that even those flavors were there, others were still able to make themselves known and readily apparent, which I really enjoyed. I would defiantly recommend this cigar if you like a medium to slightly full bodied cigar that provides some interesting complexities.

Again I have only been smoking cigars for a few months now but I hope you are able to find parts of this review helpful