Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2002, 07:57 AM   #1
jchamb
Club Member

After reading SLR and BoxDoctor's review of the Punch Churchills, I just had to get a box of these - but couldn't justify the cabinet so I went for a dress box from '98.

Presentation of these is mouth watering! They are an almost maduro dark brown, with a deep reddish tint - and I could tell by looking at the oily shine that these were going to be good. The cap was a bit crooked, but what the heck, I throw that away anyway!

The foot end of my first one felt a bit underfilled (unlike the lusitania, which was hard as a rock) - but apparently it wasn't. This thing lit beautifully, and burned perfectly straight for the entire length. The ash was a medium grey and appeared to be 'loose' but it really wasn't.

Flavor was marvelous! It was a very smooth cigar from the first light to the nub, with just a bit of that Cuban 'twang' tickling the back of my throat for the whole length. The first third was woodsy and creamy, and then toward the middle it acquired a very nice 'earthy spice' flavor which grew and grew. The last two inches of this cigar was a nice heavy, full flavored punch which lasted till the end.
Unlike SLR, this cigar did not leave me "light headed", but it might have been the circumstances. The lusitania I had a couple of nights ago certainly did - I was wobbling around the house for about an hour afterwards!
This cigar just left me with a wonderful, happy, serenely calm feeling!

These are great! Thanks to Doc and SLR for their previous reviews - I'm really glad that I picked up this box!!