Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Does the guy also sell beads? I'm sure the answer is no. The guy is simply doing what most businesses do - trying to sell you his own product. I can tell you now that the beads will work better and are far less expensive. Go with the beads.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
Jmallred
Starting Member

He did sell the beads also, and i thought that this might be the case because all it was was the same thing i had just used a different type of foam instead of the green florist foam. I was hoping his advice was good but i guess he's just trying to make more money. He also told me that when you get a gallon of distilled water that you should put about 5 drops of dish soap in it and it makes it better or something. Anyone ever heard of this?
Jmallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

adding detergent makes water 'wetter' by reducing its surface tension. I would not do this - you add perfumes from the soap and other stuff.

and the merchant may really believe the stuff he sells is better, but I would go with collective wisdom that is relaively unbiased

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Just make sure you use distilled water and you'll be fine.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #15
Jmallred
Starting Member

Well i decided to take the guy at the shop's advice and get the paradigm humidifier and I'm please to say it is working perfectly and my humidity has stabilized to 68% which i have heard is better than the 72% which is what i had conventionally heard when i started researching humidors. Im sure the beads would have probably produced the same result but the guy told me those were all he used and if i had any problems with it he would make sure it was taken care of so now i just need to finish filling it up. thanks for all the help
Jmallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #16
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

68 works well, glad you are happy with the choice. good luck filling it up!

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Indeed 68 is great. I keep mine at 65 for regular smoking... humidity here in GA goes up and down more than you can believe, with long stretches of HIGH and/OR low swings...

If it's humid outside, I'll smoke one of my cigars from a higher humidity humidor... when it's very dry, I'll grab one from a box that I routinely keep (as best as humanly possible) around 60%...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I'm glad it all worked out for you. Have fun filling it up.