Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Thumbs up New York Tobacconist Tour to Fight Taxes

TOBACCONIST TOURS NEW YORK STATE, CREATES VIDEO;
Puts ‘Face’ On Plight Of In-State Cigar Businesses

Tony Tortorici to me
show details Jun 2

New York, NY June 2, 2011 – For months, Ron Melendi has been bludgeoning New York State legislators and the Governor’s office with statistics that show how the state’s onerous tobacco taxes have joined with federal taxes to drive these small businesses to the brink of destruction. Now, to put a ‘face’ to that data, he’s touring the state, creating a video documentary of professional tobacconists that he will present to lawmakers by mid-June in support of current bills that would cap the premium cigar tax at $1 per stick.

Melendi is general manager of De La Concha America, Inc. at 1390 Avenue of the Americas in New York City. He is also president of the New York Tobacconists Association and a Certified Master Tobacconist. His family has been in the tobacco business for more than a century and he’s worrying about the next century, starting with 2011.

“I can sell a box of cigars for, say, $250 to my customer in New York, but he can go to Pennsylvania or the Internet and get that same box of cigars for $130-$150. High state and federal tobacco taxes are to blame. These taxes aren’t making people quit smoking and they aren’t raising nearly as much tax revenue as the prohibitionists predicted; they just drive customers to other, cheaper sources. That’s when everyone loses – tobacconists, consumers and the state, alike,” he said.

Melendi is touring the state of New York, visiting tobacconists everywhere to create a documentary that he will first show to the Governor and state legislators next week before posting on his various sites such as @delaconcha and @nyta1 on Twitter, ipcpr.org, NewYorkTobacconist.org or his blog at Melendi.com. He hopes the documentary will help reinforce what he’s been telling government leadership for months – high taxes are killing small businesses in New York State.

“Taxes on our premium cigars jumped to 46 percent before the federal SCHIP taxes raised them more and, last year, the 46 percent tax on other tobacco products – non-cigarette, including premium cigars – skyrocketed to 75 percent. We need relief before we all go out of business,” Melendi said.

Melendi has the support of the New York Tobacconists Association, the International Premium Cigars & Pipe Retailers Association, Cigar Rights of America and Tobacconist University in his effort to get A1093 and S3410 in the state Assembly and Senate, respectively, passed during the current session.

“The previous administration raised taxes on our products so high that the state became a parasite, sucking the life blood out of us. Instead of nurturing small businesses and the increased employment and tax revenues they generate, the state put itself and our businesses at a distinct disadvantage, compared with tobacconists in surrounding states and the Internet. We just want a level playing field, and we believe A1093 and S3410 will go a long way to doing that,” he said.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 06-08-2011 at 08:11 AM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

AWESOME!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
N99
Herf Meister

Obviously the problem is the internet and enforcement of tobacco smuggling from those evil states that don't currently tax tobacco to oblivion. /sarc

I don't think I have ever seen an article about tobacco taxes that doesn't mention how much fictional revenue the states "lose" to the internet or out of state sources. Mainly the internet.

It is nice that there are those trying to explain reality to politicians, really.

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I live in New York and I hope that this will help. But I'm not holding my breath.

With that said, Cuomo, a Democrat, has been fairly moderate, even conservative on certain issues. So there is a chance.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Gene
Club Member

But, but, but, but, but.....it'll all work out.

So what if a cigar based businessis closed, some other enterprise will eventually move into that location and provide jobs.

It must be true. Andrew Rouse says so.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote