Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2024, 01:33 PM   #19
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome1 View Post
A topic I hope to explore on my next trip down there. Obviously Pinar del Rio is a huge tobacco growing region on the western side. I know when driving east towards Camaguay that there was also tobacco growing. In some areas you could see the drying barns along the highway. I cant recall seeing any tobacco growing but if it was I probably took photos of it. I used to get bored driving so much so I would let my Cuban GF drive. She didn't have a license or even knew how to drive so I taught her on the on ramp to the highway. LOL. She did fine. An hr later I wake up and she's cousin down the highway at 80. I made her slow down of course. Anyway, while she was driving I would take photos along the way.
Probably 15 years ago we did a group buy of cigars. They were Cuban tobacco rolled in the Canary Islands and sold through a store in Germany. We didn't know much but the wrapper came from a different part of the island. They were fantastic cigars. My guess is there is far more land that can be planted for tobacco. Since all the tobacco is sold to collectives there isn't money to fertilize the land and more money in other crops.