Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
KatDad
Herf God

This situation reminded me of these quotes:

"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."
- Gen. George C. Patton

Former Secretary of State James Baker once said, "Someone asked me what was the most important thing I had learned since being in Washington. I replied that it was the fact that temporal power is fleeting." Baker went on to observe that once driving through the White House gates he saw a man walking alone on Pennsylvania Avenue and recognized him as having been Secretary of State in a previous administration. "There he was alone - no reporters, no security, no adoring public, no trappings of power. Just one solitary man alone with his thoughts. And that mental picture continually serves to remind me of the impermanence of power and the impermanence of place."

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Last edited by KatDad; 11-15-2011 at 10:39 AM.
KatDad is online now   Reply With Quote