Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Venom
Club Member

Bad News 'Bout Vin Baker......

Vin Baker was suspended indefinitely by the Boston Celtics on Friday for failing to comply with his aftercare program.

The suspension took effect immediately, and Baker missed the Celtics' game against the Washington Wizards.
It's the second time this season that Baker, who struggled with alcoholism last spring, has been suspended by the team for failing to comply with his recovery program. On Jan. 7, he was suspended for three games.

The team said it was notified of the violation by a doctor jointly selected by Baker and the team to oversee his aftercare. The Celtics did not specify the nature of the violation.

"We were sorry to learn of Vin's noncompliance," team CEO and managing partner Wyc Grousbeck said. "As we have said throughout this process, we will continue to wish Vin the very best in his aftercare and will refrain from further comment."

Baker practiced with the team Thursday, but he had not gotten off the bench in three of five games since returning from his first suspension.

That just goes to show that money doesn't mean a thing unless your happy with yourself. Money just intensifies your problems and weaknesses. My prayers go out the Baker because he's a good man.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Park Bear
Herf Meister

I hope he gets help, at one time he was a force in the NBA and could have been a real impact player.

Park Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
Venom
Club Member

HE"S BACK!!! — Vin Baker knows he's running out of chances to prove he can stay sober and contribute in the NBA. The New York Knicks are willing to give him that opportunity.

The former All-Star signed Friday with the Knicks for the rest of the season, a day after winning his arbitration case against the NBA. He was added to the active roster immediately, and coach Lenny Wilkens said Baker would play Friday night against Philadelphia.
"I'm taking this opportunity as my last chance to come out and not only play basketball, but as a person, I don't want to make the same mistakes," the 32-year-old Baker said. "I'm going to try my hardest from day to day not to make the same mistakes that I've made in the past."

Glad to hear that somebody is giving him another chance. If he can play 75-80% of his potential, he will make the Knicks a sleeper in the Eastern Conf. playoffs. Watch out!

Too bad they got rid of Van Horn.