Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:30 PM   #1
awesome1
Club Member

Trinidad Robusto Extra

These were just reintroduced at the Habanos festival this year.
TTT Robusto Extra

Nicely constructed cigar. Firm roll, medium chocolate color. Slightly oily sheen. Other than a couple of veins the wrapper is pretty nice.
Draw is firm but not plugged. Just the right amount of resistance. Cigar starts out coating the palate with a nice salty flavor that lingers. Not strong but more mild to medium. Retro is a mild cedar. 1st lighting there was a slight mustiness to it but that went away after a puff or 2. Lots of black in the ash. 1st inch the burn is off a bit and the ash drops off shortly after the 1 inch mark. The aroma is very nice. Hard to describe though. Smoke volume is a bit on the light side but I suspect that’s because my cooler is over humidified at the present time. Running upper 60’s and it’s been raining everyday for awhile now.

After that 1st ash drop the burn evens itself out. Flavors are about the same but have moved from mild medium into a definite medium. Very nice coating in the mouth. Slight tones of hay, leather, salt and some wood in the aroma. Retro is still a mild cedar.

About the 1/2 way point and burn is perfect. Smoke output has picked up a bit as well. Cedar has gotten a bit stronger in the retro.
2nd ash drop at the 1/2 way point and I did have to relight but now the smoke volume has really picked up. Flavors are about the same and coating on the mouth is still very nice.
Finish is very rich.
Overall this is a very young cigar but made with high quality leaf that already shows promise and should really improve in the coming years. I’ll probably sit on the rest of these for at least 2 years and see where they are at then.
awesome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 06:50 AM   #2
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Great review. Haven’t smoked any Habanos newer than 05 so it’s nice to hear they are still rolling the good stuff. Interesting note on the dark ash, I don’t usually see a whole lotta reviews with ash color and can’t recall a dark ash on a Cuban cigar. Did you happen to snap a picture of it?
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:29 AM   #3
awesome1
Club Member

I can see why your ashes aren't black if the youngest stuff you are smoking is 05's. Definitely well aged. I didn't get a photo but I will on the nest one I smoke. Going to be awhile though as I really feel these need some time before they really come together.
I do think they are still rolling some high quality sticks on the island. Especially the higher end stuff. Esplendidos and Pyramid LE's are ok young but really dont start to show their stuff for at least 4 years. Robustos and Novedoso's are approachable younger. 18 months-2 years and they are pretty good but as with all Habanos the older the better.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:13 PM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I was told long ago that the color of the ash depended on the nutrients in the soil. Along these lines, Cuban ash was said to be whiter than most because of the amount of potassium in the soil. Curing processes and aging are other factors.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:47 PM   #5
awesome1
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I was told long ago that the color of the ash depended on the nutrients in the soil. Along these lines, Cuban ash was said to be whiter than most because of the amount of potassium in the soil. Curing processes and aging are other factors.
I didn't know that about the potassium. Good info.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:27 PM   #6
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Another great review.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote