Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:28 AM   #11
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I don't care what they pay him. It's a private business, and they can pay what they like. What I do have a problem with is when the taxpayers have to foot the bill for other expenses directly related to the team. Why should the tax payers pay millions for a new stadium or other such costs?

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:00 AM   #12
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
I don't care what they pay him. It's a private business, and they can pay what they like. What I do have a problem with is when the taxpayers have to foot the bill for other expenses directly related to the team. Why should the tax payers pay millions for a new stadium or other such costs?
You are correct, of course. $700m is a lot of baseball.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:05 PM   #13
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

He was smart to defer most of it, only making 2M a year. That way when he retires he gets the bulk of it after he moves back to Japan or a state with no income tax. The risk of course is inflation devaluing the remaining amounts owed so I hope that he can get by on 2M a year lol

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:16 PM   #14
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

California will still take it's share. Compensation granted in California is taxed in California no matter where you live when it's paid. Stock options granted when in California are taxed as income when exercised no matter where you move. The paying entity is required to withhold and remit the tax.

And the Doggers ain't leaving Cali.
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:45 PM   #15
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

It’s a bit complicated on the deferred portion of his contract as to the tax implications. You can read about it if you wish..

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysi...ax-1234756781/
Old 12-13-2023, 02:50 PM   #16
hermit
Club Member

https://babylonbee.com/news/ohtani-h...atting-coaches

Ohtani Having Second Thoughts On Dodgers Signing After Meeting Hitting Coaches

“Ours may become the first civilization destroyed, not by the power of our enemies, but by the ignorance of our teachers and the dangerous nonsense they are teaching our children. In an age of artificial intelligence, they are creating artificial stupidity.”
Thomas Sowell

'The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.'
Orwell
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:16 AM   #17
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
It’s a bit complicated on the deferred portion of his contract as to the tax implications. You can read about it if you wish..

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysi...ax-1234756781/

Translation: he will have rich lawyers and California will still take 10%.
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:02 AM   #18
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Here's an interesting tidbit, from National Review:

San Francisco Giants Lost Out on Shohei Ohtani in Part Due to Rampant Crime, Homelessness

San Francisco’s struggles with rising crime, rampant drug use, and sprawling homeless camps have kept tourists away and led to businesses and residents fleeing the city.

Now, the downtown disorder is being blamed for deterring a big name from relocating to the Golden Gate City: Major League Baseball superstar Shohei Ohtani.

Ohtani, a rare two-way talent who is both an elite hitter and pitcher, made news over the weekend when he announced he was signing with the Los Angeles Dodgers. He signed a record-breaking ten-year, $700 million contract with the team this week.

But news reports have indicated that the San Francisco Giants — the Dodgers’ biggest rival — were also all-in on trying to land Ohtani, and, in fact, offered him the exact same deal.

In an interview with the Athletic on Tuesday, one-time Giants All-Star catcher Buster Posey, who is now a member of the team’s executive board, suggested that San Francisco’s struggles with downtown degradation and lawlessness have played a role in preventing star players, including Ohtani, from signing with the team.

Posey said that Giants leaders tried to sell Ohtani on being part of the team’s storied history, and what joining the Giants could mean for the city. “I just feel that him coming to the Giants could have been transformative, obviously for the baseball team but it also would’ve given the city a boost that we’ve all been looking for,” Posey said.

While Ohtani never personally expressed concerns about the state of the city, there were some reservations in his camp, according to the Athletic. The Bay Area, according to the outlets, is perceived by many as damaged goods.

“Something I think is noteworthy, something that unfortunately keeps popping up from players and even the players’ wives is there’s a bit of an uneasiness with the city itself, as far as the state of the city, with crime, with drugs,” Posey told the Athletic. “Whether that’s all completely fair or not, perception is reality. It’s a frustrating cycle, I think, and not just with baseball. Baseball is secondary to life and the important things in life. But as far as a free-agent pursuit goes, I have seen that it does affect things.”

The Giants have missed out on several top free agents in recent years, including Aaron Judge and Bryce Harper. They haven’t signed an impact free-agent position player since Barry Bonds in 1993, the East Bay Times reported. Posey said the team was “in a bit of a free-agent slump.”

This isn’t the first time Giants officials have expressed concerns about the city’s reputation affecting their ability to sign top players. Last year, Farhan Zaidi, president of Giants baseball operations, said that San Francisco had become a “polarizing place” for some players.

In addition to alleged concerns about the disorder in San Francisco, the Giants also had a sense that Ohtani was hoping to stay in Southern California. He played with the Anaheim Angels for six years after coming over from Japan after the 2017 season.

“It did seem like geography mattered,” Zaidi told the Athletic. “It wasn’t an absolute must or a deal breaker, obviously, given the pool of teams that were interested, but we did sense there was a preference to stay in Southern California and we knew that would be a challenge for us.”

Daniel Lurie, the Levi Strauss clothing heir who is running for mayor against incumbent London Breed, addressed Posey’s comments in a video on X, formerly Twitter.

I was listening to @knbrmurph on @KNBR this morning talking about the Giants losing out on Shohei Ohtani to the Dodgers. They mentioned that Buster Posey, now part of @SFGiants ownership, had this to say about it: “Something that unfortunately keeps popping up from players and… pic.twitter.com/kW4vow9mjT

— Daniel Lurie 羅瑞德 (@DanielLurie) December 13, 2023

“This story is a sad one because players like Buster Posey bring so much joy to all of us here in San Francisco,” he said. “But the bigger problem is our failed leadership is causing the people that live and work in San Francisco to question whether or not they want to be here.”

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:13 PM   #19
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

So cool.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:47 PM   #20
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Well, I guess the part of LA where the Dodgers live and play is probably one of the reasons it's safer in LA. I have no desire to visit. I have been to CA twice. I saw enough.

Also, you can't shit in the middle of the street in LA.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £

Last edited by jefslat; 12-20-2023 at 05:50 PM.
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote