Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 09-02-2024, 06:39 AM   #1
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

AeroPress…First cups

My sister got me an AeroPress so I decided to make my first cups of coffee this morning using my new AeroPress. I basically used the James Hoffman AeroPress method. You can check out his YouTube vid here…

https://youtu.be/j6VlT_jUVPc?si=oIUe3AKtrII0ZBa3

As for coffee dosing and water ratios, I used this article as a guide…

https://twochimpscoffee.com/blogs/ae...e-water-ratio/

The coffee I used was 8 o’clock The Original Whole Bean medium roast coffee. This coffee can be found at Walmart at a reasonable price. So if you screw up your coffee test cups, you won’t feel bad if you have to dump it.

I used the the KinGrinber K2 hand grinder at 70 clicks grind setting. The recommended grind setting for the AeroPress is 60 to 80 clicks. I heated the water to 200 degrees F. I used 15 grams of ground coffee to 240 ml water. I let the coffee steep for 2 minutes then plunged directly into a coffee mug. Coffee was very strong so I added a half cup of hot water to the cup. That worked well and the coffee cup was very good. The cup was also clean with very little sediment at the bottom.

I made a second cup I planned on making strong then diluting it with hot water to make it a smooth and flavorful cup. Well that was the plan. I used 26 grams ground coffee, but this time I changed the grinder setting to 80 clicks for a bit coarser grind. As a grind reference, I set the K2 grinder at 140 clicks for a coarse grind I use for a French press. I used 240 ml water at 200 degrees. I steeped it for 2 minutes, then plunged. I poured the strong coffee into a 16 oz Thermos, and added 240 ml hot water to dilute the strong coffee. Let it sit for 5 minutes before drinking. Came out pretty good. A bit on the strong side but not too strong, and very clean. Adding a bit of milk is delightful.

Definitely having fun with this new coffee gadget.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:02 AM   #2
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I wiped the inside of the last cup to check for coffee sediment level. I was not expecting this level of coffee silt. So clean. Yet the the coffee has plenty of body. The cloth is clean. Wow.
Old 09-03-2024, 06:45 AM   #3
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Excellent YouTube vid on using the AeroPress.

https://youtu.be/JIsSRhb4_ws?si=We4oAPjarD_KdLTt
Old 09-03-2024, 05:10 PM   #4
KatDad
Herf God

Looks like you've come up with a coffee routine that satisfies you, enjoy!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:34 AM   #5
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

John, this method of preparing coffee works great overall. The ease of use while traveling is a bonus. So far coffee is coming out pretty good with all the recipes I have tried. If I prepare one cup at a time, I use the standard recommended brew method prescribed by AeroPress where it brews more like a pour over. If I make a full 16 oz or more carafe, I do the inverted method where you turn the Aeropress upside down so it brews more like a French press resulting in a higher concentrated coffee where you add water to desired strength.

But yes I am sure enjoying this new coffee gadget.
Old 09-04-2024, 07:41 AM   #6
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Let's talk paper filters. I use the standard AeroPress paper filter that came with the AeroPress. I'm sure most people use one filter and discard it after one time use. But if you are cheap like me I reuse the same filter over and over again. I simply rinse the used filter to clean it off. So far I have reused the same filter 6 times with no noticeable difference in coffee flavor, or AeroPress performance. Coffee still comes out great after reusing the filter.
Old 09-04-2024, 07:46 AM   #7
KatDad
Herf God

We're a lot alike. Being value oriented, I would have done the same thing.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 06:35 AM   #8
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I have been using The Captain’s Coffee brew guide for the AeroPress with really good results. Here’s their guide steps…

AeroPress basic recipes

Basic black coffee

1. 30 g medium grind coffee
2. 100 ml 200F water
3. Gently Stir for 10 seconds
4. Brew 1:30
5. Plunge around 30 seconds
6. Total brew time 2 minutes
7. Dilute with 240 grams or 1 cup hot water
8. Done

Espresso strength coffee

1. 18 g fine ground coffee
2. Use 2 filters to minimize fine coffee grounds
3. 100 g 200F water
4. Stir gently for 10 seconds
5. Brew 60 seconds
6. Plunge around 30 seconds
7. Total brew time 1:30
8. Done

For Americano coffee, add 160 g hot water to the espresso type shot.

I do find the inverted method, starting the brew process with the AeroPress upside down, works great for making strong concentrate coffee where hot water is added to desired strength. For me with the black coffee recipe, I add 200 grams of water to start and steep for 2 minutes , and finish by adding 250 grams hot water to the concentrate for a total of 2 cups hot coffee in my carafe. This makes a darn good cup of black coffee that tastes great. If I want to add milk, I’ll add milk to the concentrate instead of water.

The espresso style recipe is a bit too strong for my taste so I use 15 grams of coffee. This is more to my liking.
Old 09-19-2024, 06:57 AM   #9
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

I got the Starbucks Veranda Blend light roast, whole bean coffee at Ralph's (Krogers) for $7. It's cheap, and not burnt coffee beans we usually get from Starbucks. I wanted some cheap beans to use with the AeroPress to get more practice time with this brewing method. I med/fine ground 26 grams of this coffee and used 200 grams of 200 degree hot water to make a concentrate. Poured it into a 16 ounce thermos and topped it off with about 8 ounces of hot water. The black coffee is really good. Nice clean cup.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM   #10
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

My hotel room coffee and tea set up.