Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
cigarfan
Herf God

Mel Schacher

How many of you guys know who he is? (Hint: played bass)
In fact, he is one of the best bass players I've heard.

Nothing's happened to him, as of this posting. Just curious, as the topic of bass players came up recently. He's one that I remember, and still listen to some of their songs.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
How many of you guys know who he is? (Hint: played bass)
In fact, he is one of the best bass players I've heard.

Nothing's happened to him, as of this posting. Just curious, as the topic of bass players came up recently. He's one that I remember, and still listen to some of their songs.
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD, BABY!

I been collecting their music for about five years now, I dont care much for the later stuff ,but man the early years he and Don Brewer laid down the rhythm!!!! The red album especially kicks major ass. Even though it was released a year before I was born....
Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
cigarfan
Herf God

ALRIGHT!!! Another A Grand Funk Railroad fan!!!

I've been collecting their stuff too.

I really like the Closer to Home Album. The song, Sin's a Good Man's Brother is played during the closing credits of the movie "Law Abiding Citizen"

You know they are back on tour again, w/o original singer/guitarist Mark Farner. Reviews are mixed.

As for Mel, that guy could lay down a bass groove! Ever hear the song T.U.N.C. ? If not check it out, you'll see what I mean.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

I have:

Red Album
Mark,Don,&Mel 1969-1971
Phoenix
Closer to Home
We're An American Band
On Time
E Pluribus Funk
30 Years of Funk (3 CD Set) If you dont have this, GET IT. Alternate takes that will blow you away. (on the first disc, anyway)

I'm in NO way a musician, but they just flat kicked ass. Its a damn shame they cant all get along and tour together, Mark can still sing just as well now as then, and I am just not interested in seeing them unless they are all together.

Last edited by stogie5150; 04-16-2011 at 10:13 AM.
stogie5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
rockace521
Herf God

Is that Mark Farner?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
bsslack
Herf Meister

Well let's see,

I'm Feelin Alright, Are You Ready for some Footstompin' Music? or do You want to wait til You're Closer To Home?

The Boy's also had some great covers too. In fact Feelin Alright was Dave Mason cover. My favorite cover of theirs has to be The Stones Gimme Shelter. Few bands can pull that off, but They did.

Good stuff in Their Catalog, great Sunday AM Ceegar N Coffee music.

Yes, it's Farner

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
cigarfan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsslack View Post
The Boy's also had some great covers too. In fact Feelin Alright was Dave Mason cover. My favorite cover of theirs has to be The Stones Gimme Shelter. Few bands can pull that off, but They did.
Was "Inside, Looking Out" a cover as well? I seem to think it was, but not sure..

"Ice cold water running.....thru my veins...they gonna try and drag me back to work again..."
Old 04-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
cigarfan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
I have:

Red Album
Mark,Don,&Mel 1969-1971
Phoenix
Closer to Home
We're An American Band
On Time
E Pluribus Funk
30 Years of Funk (3 CD Set) If you dont have this, GET IT. Alternate takes that will blow you away. (on the first disc, anyway)

I'm in NO way a musician, but they just flat kicked ass. Its a damn shame they cant all get along and tour together, Mark can still sing just as well now as then, and I am just not interested in seeing them unless they are all together.
I got the same albums, with....Shining On, All The Girls in the World Beware (..some good cuts on it, but not a great album) and Born to Die, a better album)
I've heard the Frank Zappa produced ..Good Singing/Good Playing is very underrated, despite being a fan & critics favorite...just didn't sell very well. I want to check that one out.

Yep, Grand Funk got me thru a few years of High School.