Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Punch Gran Cru Robusto.

I have had a punch sitting in my humi for years. It may have even reached back to 2002 or even farther. I smoke yard gars, and save a few special ones for when I want a special adventure. I unwrapped it, and was shocked that it had a black strip on the band, labeled Gran Cru.

This thing was a wonderful smoke to behold. Smooth, perfectly wrapped shade grown wrapper, almost perfectly round, and no veins or lumps. Just really nicely done. A couple pre-light draws showed a nice, smooth and easy draw, and gave off a lot of flavor. The scent was strong and snappy, far from a run of the mill shade grown wrapper.

I lit it, and it started off strong and flavorful. I got an initial sharp spiciness that held throughout the smoke, nice and warm feeling. I very lighly noticed as I first started smoking, the usual tea like taste and aroma that I get from Connecticut shade. It was not the usual light green tea, more like a lightly fermented Oolong. This played hide and seek through out smoking. This one absolutely did not have the mild sweetness that I sometimes find with Conn. wrapper, though, it was straightforward.

The smoke was a bit stronger, with more flavor and spice than I ever expected. Not a barn burner, but more on par with a much stronger cigar than a typical Macanudo type shade grown cigar.

The chief impression was of the core flavor of just a spicy, lively blend. The two most powerful associations that I got were of Cardamon, and white pepper. Not the tangy sharpness of black pepper, but the muted and more subtle white variety. Not the cinammon, baking spices that I normally associate with a spicy filler, nor the sweetness of Cameroon. The sweet, chocolatey, cofffee like dark taste I sometimes get from Nicaraguan was not there, either, but the peppery blend still left me with impressions of Nicaragua. I did not notice traces of Mexican flavors, and only occassionally got the normal, earthy and unique flavor of Villazon and Honduran in the blend. I expect these two, and who knows what else is in it?

I always thought that this line was supposed to be the mildest of the Punch lineup, and assumed that any shade wrapper would be pretty easy going. Not at all. High volume of smoke, quite aromatic, and just a repeat of the flavor impressions, except much more noticeable sharpness. I would definitely rate it closer to a medium. It burned well, the wrapper advancing properly and consistently, with no tunneling or canoeing.

Unfortunately, it was just plain too windy. I almost always have trouble with fifty plus, and this one was no exception. I dropped a one inch ash, fine, whitish, and firm. I got about another inch, and it started feeling and tasting different, ashed again, and fount that the fire had advanced down the center, leaving the wrapper burned out. I had enjoyed it so far, and just let it go.

I didn't at all taste the routine flavors or aromas in this cigar. No definite tastes of any particular varietal or region. No broadleaf, not the normal flavors of Ct shade or Nicaraguan, but I felt that they were both there. No mexican impressions, and only light and subtle hints of what I am used to from Honduran tobacco. A spicy, subtle, and definitely 'noticeable' smoke. Personally, I think that it would have done better in a vitola of maybe six by forty five. This would have strengthened the flavors, concentrated them, and maybe brought out more of the shade grown wrapper.

I really liked that. eight and a little on appearance, because it was not quite perfect. It was very nicely rolled, and the wrapper was pretty free of blemishes. Construction deserves a nine, the draw was fine, and it was totally free of lumps, soft spots, or any other flaws that I could find, other than a split in the foot. That just may have been my fault, though. Taste I will have to put it well over eight, but I am not sure that it will rate a nine or ten. My own feelings were for a nine plus, but it would have been much too tame for the average Villazon smoker. It was a much more complex, and multi faceted smoke than I have normally, and it was definitely among the best, and by far the most complex and varied flavor blend that I have had in memory.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote