Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
bigipps

Brats and beer cheese

I'm on the hook for providing second dinner or "midnight meat" for a bunch of guys while camping next week. I was thinking of doing this brat and beer cheese recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hot_d..._brat_tub.html

The brats seem straight forward and the onions with a little heat would probably be good. I'm less sure about the beer cheese dip. I've never had it.

Has anyone made beer cheese dip and have thoughts or suggestions on this recipe or otherwise?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
beevod
Herf God

If they come out like the pictures, those guys will fall to their knees and worship you.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

if it were me I'd probably bring a cheese dip as a backup, I've had beer plus cheese recipes never combine - you end up with a big glob of cheese and a bunch of ugly liquid...

the brats themselves look great.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
KatDad
Herf God

I'd give it a shot.

FWIW, Amazing Ribs is a well respected website in matters of grilling and smoking meats. I'd bet any recipe Meathead goes public with is going to be pretty good.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I'd rather go with something I've tried before. At least do a trial run before you leave.

Atomic Buffalo Turds are always a crowd favorite. Stem, slice in half about thirty jalapenos. Take a brick of softened cream cheese and season it generously with ground chipotle pepper. Put a spoon full of cream cheese in the pepper half, add a cocktail sausage. Wrap tightly in bacon and secure with toothpicks. Smoke on indirect heat. Other than cooking the bacon through, there's no real cooking time, but the smokier the better. One caveat: you can never make enough of them. They will never be left over.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I'd rather go with something I've tried before. At least do a trial run before you leave.
There is iron in your words

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
bigipps

Definitely going to try it out this weekend.

Those ABTs sound awesome! I'll have to try those another time.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I'm inclined to agree with Jeff, cheese has cats that will separate out, the fats will repel the water, without a way to emulsify the two you may wind up with ruined sauce, if not immediately, upon reheating. I can't be positive.

Remember that processed cheese works fine in dip because it is treated with emulsifiers already. Adding lecithin or soap might help.

Btw, I just saw pumpkin spice brats for sale.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #9
bigipps

Ok, wow, that didn't turn out as I expected.

First was my fault, I over cooked the brats. That could be fixed next time...

The onions turned out good, but I didn't really love the BBQ sauce flavor with the brat seasonings. It would have been awesome on burgers or something.

The cheese sauce came out ok. I did some research and found an article on the serious eats website that said you should toss the grated cheese with some corn starch and melt it into evaporated milk. It seemed to work and the sauce held up well. I like it, but it wasn't life changing.

Now I'm thinking I'll just do tri tip and caramelized onion sliders...
Old 09-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
beevod
Herf God

Do you still have any friends?