Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #21
KatDad
Herf God

IMO it can help extend the life of a popper by letting it rest and cool down a little between batches. I burned out a cheapy as well as an original Poppery I'm pretty sure by roasting batch after batch.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #22
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatDad View Post
IMO it can help extend the life of a popper by letting it rest and cool down a little between batches. I burned out a cheapy as well as an original Poppery I'm pretty sure by roasting batch after batch.
Dunno. I don't typically roast multiple batches in one sitting because I like to use what I roast within a couple of days so it doesn't go stale on me.

But as I said, I've walked away and forgotten about roasts more than once. If 45 minutes of continuous run time doesn't fry an OP - even after more than one attempt with the same unit - I kinda don't think heat is the issue. These are beast machines.

And just to be clear, these were OPs that I had modified to bypass the thermal cutout switch. They ran on full for the whole time.

(Sidebar: Not for nothing do I roast outdoors. )

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #23
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I still cannot believe I roasted inside in Novi

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #24
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

How did you manage the smoke and the chaff?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #25
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
How did you manage the smoke and the chaff?
window open, and I used a roaster not a popper. But it was messy as hell.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 06-26-2017, 04:53 AM   #26
macsauce13
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
It was the Cafe Rosto that needed non-spiky voltage. Poppers are made for typical home voltage, so I doubt that's the issue.

I recommend you quit fiddly-fucking around with cheap poppers, get yer happy ass over to eBay, and pick up an original West Bend Poppery. I've been using these for 15 years, and I typically get 2-3 years from each one because they're old school built-like-a-tank made in the USA quality. Not only that, but when one dies I strip it down and save the usable parts. That usually extends the working life of the next one.

And I've never tripped a breaker with an OP. Nor have I started a fire, even though I've forgotten I had a roast going on a few occasions. After 45 minutes, I had little coffeebean-shaped charcoal briquettes whirling around in the popper.

Original Poppery: Accept no substitutes.
Good advice, thank you. I will look into getting one of those. Once you roast your own, there is almost no substitute that is anywhere near as satisfactory. Its incredible how much better fresh coffee is.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #27
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I am lucky to live in the land of many small roasters who roast daily, but I do miss roasting my own. Maybe someday...

Old 07-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #28
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
Good advice, thank you. I will look into getting one of those.
If you do manage to score one, there are two rewiring jobs that will make it a much more effective roaster. One is dirt simple: switching an input wire so that the fan runs whenever the machine is plugged in and the switch controls the heating element. When the roast hits the point you want, flip the switch, the heat goes off, and the beans rotate in ambient temperature air to cool quickly. If you search this room, you'll find detailed photo documentation of that procedure that I posted a few years ago.

The other (bypassing the thermal protection switch) isn't hard but is more intricate and involves much more disassembly/reassembly. I've needed to do that with about half of the OPs I've run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
Once you roast your own, there is almost no substitute that is anywhere near as satisfactory. Its incredible how much better fresh coffee is.
Truer words were never spoken!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 AM   #29
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

The Master has spoken!

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #30
macsauce13
Club Member

Thanks Doug. I'm going to put that on the to-do list for sure. I'm back to buying coffee from the store and it isn't the same.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote