Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
moogjuke

Mombacho "Thermonuclear" Belicoso and rope pipe to

Mombacho Thermonuclear "Triple Ligero"
Price paid: $6.50
Format: 6 x 54 Belicoso figurado

Touted as a volcano-like, very-strong cigar, I was somewhat let down in the body of this cigar. Paired with mineral water from Germany.

Good corojo maltiness and a decent ligero zing. Not as mouth filling as the LFD DLs nor as spicy. Top notes of vanilla and cinnamon. Somewhat less than densely packed. Blackish, flaky ash; burns somewhat ugly, rustic and black where the wrapper meets the cherry. Not very spicy on the lips or palate.

This was not the "espresso-like" intensity I like in a full bodied cigar a la JdN Antano, LFD DL and especially Tatuaje Cojonus 2003/06.

Nice palate finish of earthy tobacco and blackstrap molasses.

Final third became more forceful.

Very spicy through the nose.

Biggest complaint is that this cigar required double-puffing to get an adequate smoke volume. The areas of the cigar with good density provided most flavor and smoke volume (duh).

Note- Last night I smoked a pipeful of Samuel Gawith Brown Rope #4 that sets the bar for the strongest tobac I have ever sampled. I urge full-bodied cigar nuts to try this and the other ropes by the Gawith companies. Very strong and complex. Brown is strongest and best; black ropes are less strong and require a more trained palate (and pipesmoker) to enjoy fully.
moogjuke is offline   Reply With Quote