Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
maduromadness
Banned

Which one would you Choose to Solve the Cigar Overflow Probl

I am in need of an overflow humidor. I was searching online and I found 3 different vendors where I can purchase a 25-50 count humidor between $19.95 and $21.99. I really don't know from which one of the 3 distributors to get the humidor from because I also need to purchase a few extra items which will be needed together with the humidor in order for the humidor to work properly.

This is my dilemma:

With the humidor that I want, I will also be needing a digital hygrometer and a 2 ounce jar of the Humi-Care crystal humidification gel. Most places which sell the digital hygrometer are asking anywhere from $19.99 to $25.00 for the hygrometer alone. And the 2 ounce Humi-Care Humidification Gel will cost another $1.99 to $9.99 depending from who I purchase it from.

Currently, I found an online distributor who sells a brand new 25 count "Executive" desk Humidor which is made from Bubinga Veneer for $39.99. The $39.99 price also includes a digital hygrometer which is called the "Western Caliber III" and a "Western Torpedo Advanced Humidification Device". The humidification device is "torpedo shaped". I don't know how reliable a torpedo shaped humidification device is when compared to the standard round shaped one? Maybe someone in here can tell me.
Anyways, the cost for the entire package for the 25 count humidor, the digital hygrometer and the torpedo shaped humidification device is only $39.99+ shipping. This same distributor also sells 2 ounce jars of humidification gel called "Ci-Gel Advanced Humidification" for only $1.99 each.
I figure that if I purchase the humidor from this distributor together with the digital hygrometer and with the humidifier and with either 1 or 2 jars of the humidification gel that my total cost for everything will be either $41.98 or $43.97+ shipping costs.

If I purchase all of these same exact items from any of the other 2 distributors, my total cost for the same items will be $48.85 and $56.98+ shipping.

I've found a "Capri" humidor "without" the digital hygrometer for $21.99 thru 2 other different distributors, but I would have to spend an extra $19.95 to $25.00 for a digital hygrometer if I decide to purchase from them. Also, the Humi-Gel humidification crystals will cost either $6.95 or $9.99, depending on which of the 2 distributors that I purchase from.
I would like to know from everyone in here which distributor that they think is the best choice to buy from? Should I only get the $21.99 humidor and NOT get the digital hygrometer? I don't have an extra digital hygrometer laying around. And I don't have any of the humidification gel? Do I really need the digital hygrometer and the humidification gel crystals? Or should I only spend $21.99 only for the Capri humidor? I wish that I could only spend $21.99 just for the humidor and avoid the digital hygrometer and the humidification gel.
I don't know what to do? I don't want to spend a lot of money for stuff that I don't need.
Please help me decide which is the cheapest way to do this.
maduromadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
jaybo41
Club Member

http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=143991

Why not look at that link. Looks like lots of BOTL's have jumped on the deal and have said good things about the humi. 20 bucks to hold 100 cigars. Not bad if you ask me.

Personally, I only use Heartfelt Beads, they are very reliable and I don't have to worry much about a hygrometer. Pay attention to the colors of the beads and wet them down when they need it. With the collection of cigars I'm accumulating, this takes all of the worry out of ruining my cigars. Some have also used kitty litter, but I prefer to deal with Viper139. He's a brother here and will take real good care of you

jaybo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Herfnerd
Club Member

Get a cooler and forget the hygro - don't obsess over numbers.....
Old 02-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
maduromadness
Banned

I saw the special that Holts has on that particular humidor, but they don't have the large one in stock anymore. That's too bad because I would have grabbed one for the $20 bucks that they are asking for it. Right now, I am left with the options that I mentioned above. I hate spending money for accessories like digital hygrometers and Humi-Gel humidification jars. I still have some of Viper's beads left over, but they will not fit properly inside a small 25 count humidor while it has 1 bundle of cigars in it. If I had more room inside the humidor that I want to buy or if it had a larger capacity, I would be able to have some room inside it to place the beads in it. This is not the case though. That's why it will be hard to use the beads. This really sucks.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
smokegetsinyoureyes
Starting Member

What Herfnerd said...

- Maximus Decimus Meridius
smokegetsinyoureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
univibe88
Herf Meister

If you don't need all the space of a cooler, just go for a tuperdor and a tube of beads from viper and forget the hygro. That's what I did and couldn't be happier! You can get the whole setup easily 20 bucks.

Check out my tuperdor
Old 02-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88
If you don't need all the space of a cooler, just go for a tuperdor and a tube of beads from viper and forget the hygro. That's what I did and couldn't be happier! You can get the whole setup easily 20 bucks.

Check out my tuperdor
Is it ok for the tube to be touching the cigars?
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
maduromadness
Banned

Your tupperdor looks really nice, but how do your cigars ferment without any cedar around them inside the tupperdor? I would think that the cedar around a cigar makes the cigar ferment and taste better. Also, what about the plastic smell that comes from the tupperware? Do you get any of that odor? Some tupperware emits a plastic odor.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
smokegetsinyoureyes
Starting Member

Cedar does not make the cigar ferment. The proximity of the tobacco leaves causes fermentation. Anyway, I believe fermentation is done prior to rolling the cigar. What happens in the humidor/tuperador is "ageing".

- Maximus Decimus Meridius
smokegetsinyoureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
maduromadness
Banned

So, do you think that aging a cigar in a rubbermaid tupperware container will do nothing to harm the flavor and taste of a cigar? I always thought that the cedar inside a humidor has something to do with a cigar aqcuiring excellent flavors as it ages. Please educate me on this.
Thanks