Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
bigipps

CAO pilon corona

This is a review of the CAO pilon. The cigar is wrapped in Ecuadoran Habano Viso, with a Nicoraguan binder, and Dominican and Nicoraguan filler.

From CAO: A Pilon is a carefully layered stack of tobacco leaves that helps ferment the tobacco to maximize the flavor and color of the leaves. Dating back to 19th century Cuba, this natural method of fermentation delivers a superior taste and appearance that can’t be reached otherwise. CAO Pilon uses this time-honored method to give you a cigar with deep, rich colors and unprecedented depths of flavor. [http://caocigars.com/the-lineup/classic/pilon/]

The construction seems fairly good. Although, there seem to be a few soft spots along the way. I’m hoping that this smoke is more inspiring than the RyJ that I’ve just smoked, but the initial few puffs are not that encouraging. Actually, dare I say, the RyJ actually had more body than the Pilon.

There have to be some redeeming qualities of this cigar…let me try to find them. There is a bit more spice here, but just a bit. At least the ash held longer than the RyJ a hole inch! Still waiting.

I’ve had the assumption that I’ve preferred Nicaruaguan tobaccos to other NC tobaccos, and I’ve been underwhelmed by this cigar so I assume that it is primarily a Dominican filler as to Nicoraguan…at $4 per cigar, it isn’t bad, but since I’ve got limited smoking opportunities, this one isn’t doing it. It isn’t the diamond in the rough that I’m looking for in a budget smoke.

Last edited by bigipps; 12-15-2017 at 11:26 PM.
bigipps is offline   Reply With Quote