Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Bernie*C

Ashtons Are Getting Very Pricey

My favorite "smoking" pipe is an Ashton Sovereign XXX in a shape that's a cross between an apple and prince, but quite large. It was an estate pipe that I bought and had a replacement stem made, because the original was missing. Nothing I have smokes as well. I've been on the hunt for other reasonably priced Ashtons without any success.

This morning I began the tedious task of looking through Mel Feldman's The Smoker website. I couldn't find an Ashton in my price range, but did find alot of Dunhill estates under $200.00. In fact, Mel has a few Dunhills under $100, but he writes that the nomenclature is either weak or impossible to read. I buy pipes to smoke, not resell or trade, so nomenclature is unimportant. There's a couple of Dunhills in that category at $69.00 and $89.00.

Speaking of The Smoker...I've tried a few of Mel's tobacco blends. Some I've liked....others I've found are just...eh...
His aromatic, Civil War, is very smokable. It appears not to have any heavy casings or humectants. I really wish Mel would track down/blend a straight Virginia that has the taste and characteristics of McC 5100 that's been cellared for a couple of years.
Bernie*C is offline   Reply With Quote