Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
mshade
Club Member

Cohiba Siglo IV - POL ENE '11

Cohiba Siglo IV - 2011 version

I haven't bought much of anything lately for a number of reasons, but somehow these were calling my name and credit card. After letting them sit in the humidor for a couple of weeks, and resting my palate for a few days I thought I'd see how a fresh Siglo IV smoked.

Construction -

There's nothing quite like opening beautiful varnished wooden box of Cohibas, parting the wax paper to see a wheel of glistening cigars gently held together by a yellow silk ribbon. Bands are nice to identify a particular cigar, but these beauties would've been sweeter naked.

The wrapper was smooth with a couple of small protruding veins, medium to dark chocolate in color, and slightly firm to the touch. The nicely rounded triple cap, and seemingly perfect bunching at the foot led me to believe this cigar was handled by an expert at the factory. A pretty cigar if there is such a thing.

The burn was perfect from start to finish with no touch-ups needed at all, again kudos to the roller. Gobs of smoke came with little effort, and the cigar never needed a relight even while I was staging it for various photographs.

Aroma and Flavor -

Aromas emanating from the newly opened box were a combination of rich loam, composted manure, leather, and maybe a very slight hint of ammonia in the background.

After toasting the foot, smells and visions of Fall entered the room. Raking and burning leaves.

Anticipating good things from this Cohiba, the first two draws on this cigar were curiously uneventful, and a bit harsh exhaling through the nose. Not uncommon for a young cigar though. But after that the smoking experience was delightful, with the smoke turning a bit more creamy, and the flavors of leather and sweetbread coming and going throughout the smoking experience. Quite nice.

Rating -

The construction was immaculate, and the smoking experience was good to excellent.

94/100

If the remaining cigars in the box smoke like this particular cigar did, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.