Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

JFR Super Toro maduro

JFR stands fore "Just For Retailers" and the the cigars are meant to be sold only in shops (as opposed to online) although I have seen them popping up for sale online so I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced. I did get mine in a store.

The Super Toro maduro is a weighty, meaty cigar with one of the oiliest wrappers that I have ever seen. Going on looks alone I was hoping for great things from this medium priced cigar.

The pre-light draw boded well, with flavors of chocolate, and it lit easily enough with my Nibo triple torch. After lighting the initial flavors were, well, absent really; there wasn't much going on here until about 1/4 of the way through. After that the chocolate flavors began to emerge and the cigar was -somewhat- reminiscent of a Padron. However where a Padron would continue to evolve, the JFR went downhill. By the time the cigar was at 2/3 the chocolate flavors were gone and the smoke was bitter. I did not come close to nubbing this one.

The JFR Super Toro maduro is a nice looking cigar. The construction seemed to be fine, and the burn never required a touchup. The draw was good too. But there's not much going on here as far as flavor, and that's the real bottom line for a cigar. If these were priced around $2 a stick they might be acceptable to some, but after taxes and everything else they are selling for $6 to $8 a stick and at that price they are simply not worth it.

Recommended: No.