Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Tongue Bite

What causes tongue bite? Here are my thoughts as to why this happens...

Heat and steam. I think the most common reason for tongue bite is heat and steam. If you smoke pipe tobacco that has too much moisture, too much heat happens and steam is created. This steam burns the tip of the tongue causing a burn and pain on the tongue. Discomfort can last a few days.

Reaction to Virginia tobacco. Some pipe smokers are sensitive to Virginia tobacco. For whatever reason, some people get a rash on the tongue from the oils from Virginia tobacco causing pain. Short lived, generally goes away in a couple of days.

Reaction to toppings and casings. Some folks can be sensitive to the flavor additives that can cause a rash for some pipe smokers. Your experience with different tobaccos will tell you what tobaccos you are sensitive to. Generally short lived, lasts day or two.

Propylene Glycol (PG) added to tin and drug store tobaccos. I am especially sensitive to this and get tongue bite from PG. Adding PG is common in most drug store tobaccos like Prince Albert, and Half and Half. They use it as a long term preservative which is why these tobaccos have a very long shelf life. From my experience, I get tongue bite when I smoke most drug store, and tin tobaccos. This leads me to believe PG is used by many tobacco manufacturers, but they will not admit it. In fact, many claim they don't use PG. But when I smoke the same tobacco from bulk (non-tin) format, I don't get tongue bite from the same bulk tobacco. For example, I commonly get minor tongue bite from Samual Gawith tin tobaccos, but I don't get any tongue bite when smoking the same tobacco from bulk format. So what ever they are putting in their tin tobacco, they are not adding in the bulk tobacco. My guess it is PG or some other anti-mold agent. But tobacco manufacturers deny it. Only C&D has told me they do not use any preservative agent on any of their tobaccos, which is why I have never experienced any tongue bite with C&D products.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote