Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

My bass

I play guitar, for 33 years now, but I do pickup gigs on bass and on synthesizer. This is my bass. It is a very special bass. A 1983 U.S.A. Fullerton Standard P-Bass. At the time, Fender employees had just purchased the company from CBS and they set up in Leo Fender's original shop in Fullerton, CA and committed themselves to making the absolute best guitars and basses that they possibly could. This only lasted about 1 1/2 years before it became obvious that they would go broke fast that way, and production moved to Japan. Even the 1980's Japanese Fenders are now collectibile, and for good reason, they are very well made instruments. But the Fullerton made ones trump the Japanese ones, as good as they are, by far. I'd go as far as to say that the Fullerton P-Basses were the best basses Fender ever made. And I practically stole mine - the guy wanted $400 and in reality they are worth $1,500 to $3,000! I even have the original hard shell case. I put flatwounds on it because I like the warm, round sound as opposed to something like the edgy, almost distorted sound of a Rickenbacker (not that I wouldn't love to have me a Rick...)