Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

J Fuego Origen Original

An intriguing little cigar I first heard about on another board. According to the blurb on the 5-pack wrapper, the size (5x44) and shape (sort of like a perfecto) were worked out by the Fuego family as the test bed to evaluate all of their new blends. I hadn't heard much about the rest of the Origen line, but the review I read of the Original was stellar. In any case, the opportunity to try the prototypical shape for a new blend was something I was definitely going to pursue.

So I spent some time looking for them: nada, zip, zilch. Seemed like nobody had any, though I read repeatedly that the Origen line in general was limited in terms of production, and would only be offered by a few vendors. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I found a vendor that had some, and I got my order in immediately.

They come in paper-wrapped 5-packs, slender cigars tapered at both ends, with a smooth, darkish wrapper. Descriptions of the blend are sketchy, but reportedly 100% corojo tobacco is used: Dominican and Nicaraguan filler, Costa Rican binder, Brazilian wrapper.

Both ends of the cigar are open, and they are unbanded, so I chose to light the slightly bigger end. Immediate impression of smooth, rich smoke with leather, earth, and a hint of coffee in the flavors. The draw was perfect, with just the right resistance, and the burn was straight throughout, never requiring touch-ups.

As with all narrow RG cigars, slow smoking was the way to go. Although I don't have anything like jazznut's palate, subtle flavors did come and go as the smoke progressed. At one point, I got the distinct impression of coffee laced with abundant cream, with just a touch of turbinado sugar. Medium-bodied, deepening towards full-bodied as the smoke progressed, always smooth and well-balanced. A really pleasant smoke, from first draws to 3/4" nub.

If you look around a little, these little gems can be had for about $2 each. At that price point, they're well worth the ante, IMO. Highly recommended.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote