Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Writing a Cigar Review For Posting. Win a prize!

First of all, I am not a cigar review expert. Like you, I've read plenty. Some of them read like pure hot air aimed at getting you to buy a cigar. It's like the blurbs you read at the cigar vendor sites. According to them, every cigar is damn good!
But there are people who have sensitive palates and a gift for language. A lot of those folks have blogs or write for magazines. The majority of us probably don't fit in that category.
Sometimes it's nice to see what the average Joe thinks of a particular cigar. Wouldn't it be nice to put a brand name in the search criteria for the Cigar Review forum and get a half dozen opinions in one place? That's a valuable tool when you are considering spending $100 or so on a box of cigars.
So I'm suggesting you take part in the Cigar Review contest. You can add to the cigar data base and maybe win some smokes as a benefit. I won last month. That means anyone can win!
You don't have to taste leather, cocoa or Old Spice. Just think about the characteristics of the smoke and write them down. Is the cigar strong or mild? Bitter or sweet? Complex or plain? Good Draw? Nice wrapper? Well rolled? Lots of smoke or very little?
You can probably toss some adjectives in there too like toasty or nutty.
It doesn't have to be great literature. Just use simple words to communicate how you feel about a given cigar. What's the rating standard you ask? CA uses 1-100. Jefslat uses 1-10. I used that too recently. But I'm thinking of going with 1-5. seems simpler to me. Use what you want.
Competition for the cigar review prize is light right now. The current category is Maduro Cigars. Three reviews gets you consideration for the prize. Get busy and win some nice smokes!
Here's to you and your first cigar review!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Nice post, Tim. Please enter early and often. You stand to gain some super premiums from my personal stash and nothing at all to lose by trying!

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Nice post, Tim. Please enter early and often. You stand to gain some super premiums from my personal stash and nothing at all to lose by trying!
He likes Punch and Hoyo, Boli and Party...from the Island!

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
bsslack
Herf Meister

True words there Enchanter Tim.

There's also another great reason to do cigar reviews. I personally found that as I reviewed cigars and looked for more things to describe about them, I actually found More. More than the words, I found More flavor and textures in the cigars I was smoking. I did not realize it til later, but I was suddenly enjoying the good and better cigars even More. I was getting More out of them. This completely surprised me, because I never really thought about the cigars themselves that much, as I smoked them. I liked it or did not, simple right? The beauty about hand rolled cigars is that they exist on the level of the person whom is smoking them. I know that there were some excellent cigars that were wasted on me, when I first started. I smoked quite a few "El Dente" cigars in complete and total ignorance. The point to all of this is simple. The more attention you put towards the cigar you are smoking, the more you will get out of it. Think of it as getting your money's worth from them. It's not work per se, but focus. I still find cigars relaxing, but there's so much more at the same time. Ask any FOG here and they will tell you that your tastes and your ability to taste can, and often does, change with time and experience. This may be just the opportunity for you to take the next step in your journey in the Cigar Arts. Plus, you will not find a friendlier or more supportive group of guy's to learn with and from. There is still so much out there to learn and experience in today's World of Cigars. So, take a chance and give it a whirl, you might just be surprised by how much you like it.

my

What say You?

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 05-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Old 05-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
bigipps

I can concur this is an actual thing and no skill is required. Fun too!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

This is how we've always seen ourselves at C.W.
We like to think of ourselves as the "Everyman" Cigar lifestyles publication. Many of us are simply regular guys who get to partake of extraordinary goods in this life, fine cigars...but with an eye toward a good cigar at a great price; better libations to pair them with...and with a nod to those who craft the libations and cigars; delicious food and the manner in which we prepare it.

Write for us, write with us, Doug (jazznut) can make us all sound like a million bucks without sacrificing our character to do so.

Smoke those maduros in May, y'all!!!

#MaduroMay

Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
guusfoto
Starting Member

To complicated and to much words, and getting sick of seeing my reviews again and again again again.... Passing by who are 3 years old on twitter, hmmm but nice spoken (1/3 I was having trouble with my languages barrier so quit reading), but I can learn from it. DutchSmokingBandit! 🤪

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

Last edited by guusfoto; 06-19-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: bsslack I get called by the name Bandit and I love to have my own opinion. No hate in my message
guusfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

C'mon people! Smoke some Churchills and do some write ups. It's like taking candy (or cigars) from a baby (or in this case BigO)!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote