Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

A thing I noticed about pipes vs. cigars

When I was almost exclusively smoking pipes I'd buy a couple pipes a week on eBay. Sometimes more. Seems excessive, I know. But here's the thing: I'd rehabilitate those pipes, smoke them awhile, and then when I tired of them, or if I didn't like them, I'd sell them. Often I would even make money. It was money in the bank! And a pound of pipe tobacco costs what a fiver of low cost cigars does. So I mostly felt like I was smoking for free. And I smoked with an according frequency.
So now I'm smoking cigars exclusively again. I have the same propensity to buy cigars as I did pipes. But I'm not making money on cigars. They are consumable. I feel like I should get a tattoo of a dollar sign with wings smoking a cigar!
But I am smoking a lot less. An important reason is that I like really good cigars and am always mindful of the cost of what I'm smoking.
I also must admit though, that I think my level of enjoyment with cigar smoking is higher than it was with pipes. With the pipes it often had more to do with the pipe than the tobacco. With a cigar it's all about the tobacco.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote