Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
rocket15

I just fixed my lighters

I discovered that the torch lighters have a limit on their adjustment pre-set by the factory, and after you re-fill them the first time, somehow the flame just isn't as big anymore. I took the screw out of the bottom that holds the housing on, and removed the housing exposing the tank and the flame adjustment screw. The screw has a tiny rubber gasket on it. Remove the gasket carefully (you're going to put it back on), and you will see a brass or steel ring that is fitting over the adjustment screw and is slotted so that it turns with the screw. This ring has a stop on it so that it hits against the plastic around the adjustment screw and keeps it from turning past the factory pre-set limit. Lift off this ring with a jewelers screwdriver (need one to get this far actually) and you can extend the limit range of the flame adjuster. Play with the adjustment until you are satisfied with the maximum height of the flame. Reinstall the limit ring so that it sits exactly like it did before you removed it. Reinstall the rubber gasket that holds the limit ring in place. Reinstall the lighter housing and voila, your lighter works like it did when it was new.

I did this with some S.T. Dupont Extend knockoffs, and a Colibri Retro, so I think the design of these things is probably mostly similar.
rocket15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:59 PM   #2
Þgdlou

I've got a drwer full of Colibris that have similar problems. I'll have to try your solution to see how it works.

Thanks for the info...
Þgdlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
fatshotbud
Herf Meister

Good job McGiver -
fatshotbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
kctaxman

Thank you, I have 2 lighters that just started having problems this weekend, I will try what you suggest.

MM
Old 06-29-2003, 05:10 PM   #5
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

I turned the flame up in my Vector Emperor the same way. Works like a charm.
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:17 PM   #6
HavanaRon

My Colibri wen't hay wire after the tank ran out the first time. Took it back and the store showed me that their was oxygen in their somehow? The trick was to take a plain screw drive fillips and push it up the hole you put the juice in and it will let all the stuff out so you can start over. Adjusted the flame and A OK. Last they said to only use colibri fluid cause the other low quaility juices have something or other in it. Works great now for several months.
HavanaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:50 PM   #7
Guido

I'll be damned if I didn't just do the same thing to my colibri last week. One of the jets was getting kind of weak. I was thinking that it just wasn't getting enough gas. Did the same thing as you and now if works like a charm. DO IT!
Old 06-30-2003, 05:30 AM   #8
LIGHTNINROD
Club Member

Just printed out your instructions as all my lighters are out on my workbench. I'll take your post and give it a try...Thanks.

Dan

"Let them hate us so long as they fear us."

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
LIGHTNINROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:20 AM   #9
Tumbleweed
Club Member

I did this to my collibri last year. Still works like a charm.

www.versablock.com
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:44 AM   #10
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

HavanaRon, that technique is one that should be performed each time you refill a lighter. Doing that bleeds off what preasure is left in the lighter.

Refilling the lighter withOUT bleeding off the excess pressure may prevent your lighter from working because the excess pressure coming out with the lighter fluid can actually cause the flame to snuff out. Have you ever tried to light a lighter and you see flame for a fraction of a second then it goes out? That is the result of having too much pressure.

The other thing you should do every two to three (if not every) refills is give your lighter a C-A-B-J, a compressed air blow job.

Using a can of compressed air that you would buy for blowing dust out of electrical equipment, aim the plastic wand or nozzle at the ignition area of the lighter. Give it 3-4, one-two second blasts of compressed air. This will blow out ashes and other crud which prevents the lighter from operating properly. Let the lighter warm up for a few minutes before attempting to use it after a CABJ.

I have a half dozen El Cheapo butane lighters that I have had from one to three years. I perform the bleed-off and CABJ on the lighters every time I refill them. They all work great!

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote