Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:19 AM   #1
parshooter
Herf God

Coincidence ?

Sometimes I will be listening to the radio, and lets say a Rolling Stones song is on. Then I will change to another station, and they are playing a Stone's song also. This seems to happen a lot. Do radio stations listen to each other and mimick each other, or is this just coincidence

#69 of the JLOH
parshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:53 AM   #2
Club Member

probably coincidence

of course if it's AM commercial stations they probably all play the same stuff over and over
7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:26 AM   #3
mannish
Herf God

I think most mainstream/classic rock/country..etc have a similar playlist more than likely provided by the same 'market research' company.

Thta is what I have read anyway

The days of a DJ picking what he plays without being restricted to THE list is long gone
Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Of course the "playlist" makes it easier to file all the paperwork to pay the rights and royalties to the record labels, too, looking at it from an administrative/clerical point of view.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
mannish
Herf God

I think they just pay a regular licensing fee to ASCAAP/BMI & they sort it out to the labels..etc Clubs are the same way theyare suppsoed to pay ASCAAP/BMI fees but they have no idea what songs are played or covered by a certian band.

I am not sure how ASCAAP....etc figures out who to pay

One club refuses to pay the fees and has a notice posted no ascaap...etc songs are allowed to be played. Which of course is impossible & he knows that.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
spiridon
Herf God

It's almost gotten to the point that there is no need for "live" DJs anyway.....everything is on computer.....scheduled out, queued up, ready to go....
Old 05-04-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannish
I think they just pay a regular licensing fee to ASCAAP/BMI & they sort it out to the labels..etc Clubs are the same way theyare suppsoed to pay ASCAAP/BMI fees but they have no idea what songs are played or covered by a certian band.

I am not sure how ASCAAP....etc figures out who to pay

One club refuses to pay the fees and has a notice posted no ascaap...etc songs are allowed to be played. Which of course is impossible & he knows that.
I knew you'd have the information.
No ASCAAP means, there's gonna be plenty of original material

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiridon
It's almost gotten to the point that there is no need for "live" DJs anyway.....everything is on computer.....scheduled out, queued up, ready to go....
I think I would actually prefer this. I want to hear music, not hear some pinhead talk about when he met John Lennon.
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
mannish
Herf God

"No ASCAAP means, there's gonna be plenty of original material"

I always say this next one is an original tune, Robert Johnson wrote it
Old 05-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #10
therealmingus

Play list, definitely. I've been able to cruise the dial and listen to the same song 4 or 5 times in a row before. Of course, it's never been anything I would typically listen to.
therealmingus is offline   Reply With Quote