Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

El Rey del Mundo - Flor de Llaneza Maduro

I got these pyramids from Holts waaaay back in 1997 (maybe 1998) when the cigar boom was booming. Cigars were being rushed to market using good tobacco but the tobaccos used back then were not being aged properly. So smoking these rushed-to-market cigars were usually an uneventful experience. The experience was usually rough tasting cigars, bitter and ammonia comes to mind, just terrible cigars. So I put them in my humidor and forgot about them. It's been raining here in SoCal and thought hmmm wonder how these are after 15 years in the humidor? Would be a nice cigar to smoke this rainy evening. Here's my review...

Wrapper - Very dark, very toothy to the touch, thin veins. Very nice looking cigar. Well rolled, nice cap. 5/5

Construction - Firm feel, well constructed, great draw. Lit well, even burn throughout, nice firm gray cone ash. Construction was tops. 5/5

Flavor - Started off excellent, some bitter nuts, and this coffee and cream flavors. Hint of sweet spices is coming through, reminds me of cinnamon. It was medium and very smooth. There was this hint of vegital flavor common with aged cigars. There were flavor changes as you smoked it down. Amazing complexity. 8/10

Goes to show you when rollers use good tobacco even when too young, age will improve the flavors. This is a great example of how age improves cigars rushed to market. I really enjoyed this cigar from beginning to end. I was expecting the worse, and got an excellent smoking experience.

Score - 18/20

Last edited by SLR; 02-28-2014 at 11:26 AM.
SLR is online now   Reply With Quote