Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

A Question for the Philosophical Round-Table--Especially Our Professional Musicians

My son is a musician and plays music that I believe I truly like and think is good--and not because he is mine. (What he seems to listen to usually sucks. But what he writes and plays is pretty damn good.)

Anyway--we have a recurring "argument":

I think MAYBE they (his band[s]) need to play some covers (not necessarily very many) to help hook fans and grow their crowds as a way to get more people to listen to their originals. (But I think their originals are good enough on their own.)

AND

He and other band members say that today's crowds loose interest quickly and don't want to listen to one band for more than only 1-45 minute set (an indication of the "talent" of the band maybe?). I say the music should vary a little to hold interest, and that a band should be ready to play material to fill at least 2-1 hr. sets. (I get pissed when I spend good money to see a concert and the act plays less than an hr.)

Where am I wrong?

IF I am not wrong, how can I help him get his band(s) over that plateau?

(Previous work:

http://www.myspace.com/deltagunband

AND

http://www.myspace.com/coffinsband333333)