Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
pnutbutrsangwich
Club Member

Chef's Knives?

So after buying the econo pack of chicken breast and doing the rest of the butchering that Shop-Rite neglected to do with what might be the dullest knife in existance, I've decided it's time to upgrade. I'm looking for a set with a Santuko, a nice pairing knife, and a good chef's utility knife. Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
otto_sear

I like Cutco knives, personally. They are dishwasher safe, have full-tang construction, a great warranty, and are made in the USA. They sell a decent sharpener for their non-serrated blades that has served me well.
otto_sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
nucker
Club Member

Just watch any late night infomercial - for just 2 easy payments of $29.99 ........................

Any quality name brand will do, just make sure they "feel" right in your hand ( shape of the grip / balance) or you will get sick of them no matter what the quality. Heck, I've used some of the lower cost Rever and Faber Wear stuff that wasn't shabby. Use a good hone regularly and never put them in the dishwasher or throw them in the junk drawer and you'll be set.
Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle, Ah but the One, One of them is a Warrior...and He will bring the others back. -Hericletus c. 500 B.C.
nucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Big Smoke
Club Member

Here's the set we bought about a year ago. Great knives, and stay sharp. It even comes with a knife sharpener that does a great job.
Emeril Knife set
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ Ronaldus Magnus
Big Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
alfa

check for closeouts at knifeworks.com and knifeoutlet.com
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I have two half-sets of Wüsthof. I have smaller blades in the Classic line, and larger blades in the Grand Prix line. Wife likes the Classics because they are smaller and with a thinner handle. I prefer the Grand Prix, because the handle is larger, more comfortable, and they're heavier knives.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
xavier
Club Member

I bought a set made by GLOBAL almost 5 years ago. A great set of knives, well balanced and easy to maintain. You can buy individual pieces.

Here is a link : http://www.globalknives.us/globalknifesets.html
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
scubadoo97
Club Member

Japanese knives have harder steel than most European knives.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/TOJIRO2.html

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Hi...eelSeries.html

The Tojiro line is a great bang for the buck in a stainless knive and the Hiromoto is a great bang for the buck in high carbon steel.

You don't have to spend a bundle as you can see these are less than comparable European knives and will last you a lifetime. You won't have to send them back to the company to be sharpened like a Cutco knife.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
Smokin_VI
Herf Meister

We have a set of Henkel Pro we got at Bed Bath and Beyond. Man, are those sharp. Also get yourself a good steel and use a good sharpener occasionally. We have a non-electric Chef's Choice and use it maybe once or twice a year, MAX. Other times a good steel will work wonders.
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.--Winston Churchill
Smokin_VI is offline   Reply With Quote