Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
samiam2
Club Member

Real Port

I tried Port for the first time this weekend. The only selection was a Taylor which I obtained both a Ruby and Tawney to try. Enjoyed the Tawney much more than the Ruby. SWBMA liked the Ruby except we found both very high in kick ass ability..A person could get falling down drunk on a couple glasses of this...Just a question? If the bottles don't have a date on it, is it considered a true Port?...TIA..

Last edited by samiam2; 02-09-2009 at 07:05 AM.
samiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam2 View Post
Just a question? If the bottles don't have a date on it, is it considered a true Port?
If it comes from Portugal, then it's a 'true' Port. That's about all there is to it.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
samiam2
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
If it comes from Portugal, then it's a 'true' Port. That's about all there is to it.
Ah, understood..what about if it's from say Californica, but says Port on the bottle..TIA Douglas..
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

That does not, strictly speaking, constitute a proper use of the term, just as 'Champagne' cannot be used for sparkling wines produced outside of the traditional, delimited Champagne region of France.

This said, common usage of the term 'Port' on fortified wine labels has occurred through the years, most notably in the case of such wines from Australia and South Africa.

There's nothing to stop any winemaker from producing and bringing to market an excellent Port-style wine. But to call such a wine simply 'Port' is misleading, and begs the possibility of litigation.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Black Plague
Herf Meister

"Port" isn't as regulated as other appellations of origin....but Australia and NZ do makes some awfully tasty tawnies for a very nice price!
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Black Plague
Herf Meister

[quote=samiam2;2299201]we found both very high in kick ass ability..A person could get falling down drunk on a couple glasses of this...quote]

You can thank the brandy that's added to it. It's added to stop the fermentation (retaining the sweet flavor from the unfermented sugars) before it's then barrel aged.

Another good thing about port is, if you're like me and struggle to drink through a bottle of normal wine before it turns into vinegar, most port has a decent shelf-life. I've had bottles of Australian tawny open for a month or more and stored at room temperature that still tasted good.

Last edited by Black Plague; 02-09-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Big Smoke
Club Member

Most notably Hardy's Whisker's Blake, which was my introduction to "Port", and still my favorite.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ Ronaldus Magnus
Big Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

As an alternative to Aussie 'Port', you may also want to check out Buller Fine Old Muscat, a deliciously raisiny fortified wine.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
casual
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Most notably Hardy's Whisker's Blake, which was my introduction to "Port", and still my favorite.
Ditto!!! My favorite affordable port-style wine. Altough it has gone up a buck since last year, it still runs $14.99 here.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
rockace521
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam2 View Post
I tried Port for the first time this weekend. The only selection was a Taylor which I obtained both a Ruby and Tawney to try. Enjoyed the Tawney much more than the Ruby. SWBMA liked the Ruby except we found both very high in kick ass ability..A person could get falling down drunk on a couple glasses of this...Just a question? If the bottles don't have a date on it, is it considered a true Port?...TIA..
I didn't read it elsewhere, but there are several different kinds of ports, many kinds actually, and generally speaking it's only "vintage" ports that are dated. In an especially good quality harvest year, a vintage is declared and then you get a vintage character port. Every year of growth does not merit a vintage porto, and plenty of years they just skip making the vintage portos altogether, as a way to preserve the meaning of a vintage year porto. Also you'll see "Late Bottle Vintage" (or LBV) that will come with a year model, those will come in years that are pretty good but not "Vintage Port" material. Outside of that, portos don't come with date labels.

Here is a randomly-selected Googling on portos:

http://www.worldshippers.com/port.html