Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #131
kcslap97
Starting Member

I've also made the jump to Hearfelt 65% beads (tube). Man, what a difference!!! They smoke much better at 65% in my opinion (many other say the same), that's why I headed this direction. All I can do is
kcslap97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #132
PartagasReserva

Every get mold on your beads?
PartagasReserva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #133
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Never. I have several coolers set up with 65% Heartfelt beads that have been problem free for years.

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #134
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Just a little update on these beads. My glass top ready smokes humidor was running high (73%). I had noticed as well that during the winter that RH wasn't quite as precise as it used to be. So today I opened my humidifier to check out the beads. They were mostly brown, which is not a surprise, or really an issue. But a lot of them had disintegrated into sand, which is an issue. That's the indication that the beads are done. So I dumped them and replaced them. I figure I got close to 15 years out of those beads. That's a pretty good return for the money!
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #135
windsorlacorona
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog View Post
Just a little update on these beads. My glass top ready smokes humidor was running high (73%). I had noticed as well that during the winter that RH wasn't quite as precise as it used to be. So today I opened my humidifier to check out the beads. They were mostly brown, which is not a surprise, or really an issue. But a lot of them had disintegrated into sand, which is an issue. That's the indication that the beads are done. So I dumped them and replaced them. I figure I got close to 15 years out of those beads. That's a pretty good return for the money!
That's a great point, thanks for bringing it up! I was told beads have a ballpark ten year service life after which they will start really cracking/breaking apart physically. My setup has been working since 2004 so I guess I'm due for some new 65% beads!
-Winston Churchill
windsorlacorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #136
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Beads and high ambient RH

Another update here. I figured out that the main reason my humidors are running high is because the ambient RH in my basement workshop has been in the 80s for quite some time. It's been a very wet summer, never experienced this before. Evidently the beads are completely saturated. I was trying to figure out what to do when my buddy says: What about a dehumidifier? Uh...yeah, that's a good idea says I.

The things can be expensive, but it seemed to make sense to buy a good one with a good capacity both for processing air, and storing liquid. So I spent a couple hundred bucks. But it's been 5 hours and the RH is down 22 points and I've emptied the reservoir once already.
I have it set at 50%. I've taken the humidifiers out of the humidors to let them dry out. After several days I'll put them back in to see what happens. I expect RH will drop and my cigars will smoke a little better.

Geez, maybe I should humidify in the winter too.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #137
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I just in the last 2 weeks said to hell with emptying the reservoir and piped it directly to the hose carrying the condenser's runoff outside. PITA emptying it 2x/day.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #138
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I've set the dehumidifier to 60%. At that setting it runs less often and then mostly on low. RH in the area of my humidors is around 50% and the RH in the humidors is slowly coming down. Success!