Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2003, 06:36 AM   #1
moob
Herf Meister

Onyx reserve belicoso vs. H Upmann Chairman reserve torpedo

These came in a sampler box of figurados. I happened to smoke the Upmann first and about a half hour later the Onyx. In many respects its unfair to compare the two as the Upmann is EMS wrapper and Onyx a maduro but here goes. They were both well constructed and burned fine. The Upmann was the medium in body and very creamy. It had a firm construction and a relatively smooth wrapper. Subtle notes of wodd and coffee. I though it finished beautifully with a deepening body and mellow flavor. The onyx in comparison was a bit more robust in body. It started out somewhat harsh and over powering (perhaps not the right choice of words but similar to getting hit over the head with a frying pan) before settling down after a half inch or so. It was difficult to detect subtle nuances of flavor, especially in comparison to the Upmann. In fact, the more I smoked it the more dissapointed I became. I really enjoyed these cigars about a year and a half ago. Last summer I had one and it just seemed harsh. This Onyx was similar. Borderline woody to harsh in a medium to full body delivery. Both cigars had good draws and deliverd a satisfying amount of smoke. If I had my druthers I'd buy more of the Upmanns. I think part of that is my personal taste buds have been drifting towards creamier styles of cigars and lately I've been favoring EMS over maduros.