Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

H Upmann Reserve corona

They aren't the same.

Current recipe is an Ecuador habano wrapper with nic and Dominican tobaccos. It used to be a really dark Connecticut wrapper, IIRC.

First, the new cigar, the one I got, was not anywhere near as dark and beautiful as the older reserve. It was a nice, glossy ems, and construction was pretty good, but not great. It was kind of wrinkled and lumpy. When I punched the head, it split. As I smoked it it split. It felt just a little too tight on the draw, and ultimately, I believe it was too tightly packed.

It burned nicely with a great, smooth white ash that held on forever. Unfortunately, it split on me at about an inch. The split stayed there, and didn't run. No real problem, I smoke through it without a touchup.

Billows of smoke with rather average character, much like a more refined version of the classic, with less of the bonfire taste and more of something I can't quite explain.

With the head split, it unraveled after a while, and there were a number of heavy stems worked into it. Real bummer.

What, 82, 85? Not the quality of the old reserve line. Not a ten dollar cigar. Put it in the category of an erdm for example. $3-5 box price.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote