Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Deeg

Rocky Patel Sungrown Seconds Robusto

The cigar: RP Sungrown Seconds robusto (5.5" x 50)

Accompanied by: Johnnie Walker Black

If you've read my other posts you know one of my many quests is to find a cigar that's similair in profile to the VSG line. I bought a sampler of these more than anything because I enjoy most of Rocky's cigars, and they seemed like a good deal.

Appearance-wise, it was impossible to tell this was a second (and that's true of the entire sampler). Wrapper was a gorgeous deep reddish-brown - oily, with few veins. No imperfections in the wrapper or cap were apparent. As with all Patels, the roll appeared tight as a drum.

The intial flavor impression, even pre-light, was sweetness. Then, a few puffs in, the cigar began to assert itself. I'm no fan of grand taste descriptors (hints of aniseed, oil of maleluca and bubblewrap, etc.) but what I picked up was a classic sungrown pallete - some cedar, leather, and a bit of dark chocolate. This continued for the first inch or so, at which point the cigar mellowed into an ultra-smooth, rich balance. I would not describe this as one of those powerhouses so popular these days - definitely medium-bodied and rich in flavor, but no dizziness or light-headedness.

Construction-wise, once again, it was impossible to tell this was a second. Even with a slightly uneven light the cigar burned slowly and evenly, with a perfect draw. I find Patels offer a generous volume of smoke but, due to their tight roll, smoke very slowly - and this "second" was no exception. The cigar lasted an hour easily, with a slightly flaky ash that held on for at least two inches without being tippled.

On balance, a wonderful smoke - not a VSG, sure, but frankly I enjoyed it more than a '92 Vintage Patel I paid four times as much for. The chocalate sweetness was more subdued, with cedar and leather more at the forefront. I like a bit more pepperiness ideally, but still thoroughly enjoyed the taste experience. I'd give this cigar an 87, and at the price it's a tremendous bargain.
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote