Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:34 AM   #1
carmine7075
Herf God

Budget bookshelf speakers . . .

I am looking to replace the Polk Audio satellites that I have been using as mains on my secondary listening setup that sits in a 14 x 14 room. According to the interweb, excellent budget bookshelf speakers can be had, and I have decided to audition three pairs of those that are highly touted.

The test will be almost completely unscientific, as all I have to go on is my ear, but I suppose that is what counts in the long run.

The speakers will be:

Dayton B652 - tons of positive reviews on the web, super cheap at $39 for the pair.

Insignia NS-SP213 - Yep, a best buy speaker, word is manufactured by Pioneer. Glowing albeit surprised reviews online and second cheapest at $59

Micca MB42X - The most highly touted speaker of the bunch and darling of Amazon. Also the most expensive at $89.

All will be "tested" on a the same gear. Sansui 2000A receiver, Realistic LAB-500 turntable and Iphone streaming Spotify @ 320 kbps.

I'll be using Dire Straits Communique or Brother in Arms, New Beatles Mono Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Duke Ellington and Harry James in Hi-FI as test Vinyls.

More to follow ...

Last edited by carmine7075; 08-31-2015 at 04:06 AM.
carmine7075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:09 AM   #2
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

Cool

Buy all my speakers pre-listened off of Craig's List, or similar, ads.

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:13 AM   #3
carmine7075
Herf God

That is a good option too. Thought about that, but decided to look at new speakers because I don't really have the time to recondition an old set.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:21 AM   #4
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

Smile

All the ones I've found were good to go; some of the older ones I'll have the crossovers re-capped in the future.
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:55 AM   #5
carmine7075
Herf God

Unscientific tests were conducted last night, and we have clear winner. Each set of speakers made quite a difference in the listening experience, some good and some bad. Will post my observations later today for anyone who may be interested.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #6
beevod
Herf God

I'd be...thanks.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Let's hear it, Carmine...

Most of my speakers are bookshelfs (depending on how you define it). Advents and MacIntoshs aside, my favorites are the Bose 201s and the Klipschs (don't remember the model number, too lazy to look it up). I hated the Polks I had in my surround system in NOLA. Best combo was the Boses on top of the McIntosh and A+B speakers engaged. Bose delivered the highs and the MacIntosh the lows. The MacIntoshes need to be re-coned now, but I'm not letting go of them.

Dixie Speaker in Birmingham has a great selection of used vintage speakers and will re-cone any of my speakers as long as I own them. Good people, superior work.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote