Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Cigar Weekly Anniversary Herf Humidors

In 2005 and 2006 I did humidors for the annual Cigar Weekly herf in Reno. The first one shows early techniques and aesthetic choices. The second one, a year later, is a much better example on a style I settled on. One that I like to this day.

So, let's look at the first one:

This the Cigar Weekly 7th Anniversary Herf give away humidor. This was in 2005. I was obviously still messing around with tung oil varnish. This is a quarter sawn oak box. That makes it probably late 19th-early 20th century.

I think the original plate was damaged. This is a modern replacement.

I can tell this is a really early effort. The lid cedar is in two pieces. Once I got my hands on a good supply of Spanish cedar I quit that technique. Plus, it looks like I included some humi-tubes. A bit later I was making my own humidifiers.

This is the Cigar Weekly 8th Anniversary Herf give away humidor. Date was 1-14-2006. I attended this one. Good fun! The box is mahogany with nickel plate hardware. I had moved on from varnish to an oil finish that has a more vintage look.

The look of a nice piece of striped mahogany is really striking!

This is the original nickel plated name plate. Had the engraving done at a trophy shop.

I kept the original glass bottom and made a custom humidifier. I think the humidifier is held in place with disc magnets on the back. The magnets were something I tried various strategies with.

xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote