Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Mike
was gonna bid on those

I need more pipes

Very nice find

What do you actually do when cleaning them?
Next week I'm hoping to clean out some old pipes
that were around the house......

Found 3 keepers out of like 20
I bought a pipe reamer and the cleaning kit to go with it. I'm going to give this a shot and see what happens. I've always loved the smell of a pipe having grown up around it. There's a solution that you can either buy or make yourself to rinse out the bowl, shank and stem to remove the old, stale smell and taste. Then you need to make sure the stems are clean and in good shape. The local pipe repair guy told me to put the stems in bleach for about a half hour to an hour to remove the sulphur staining, then rinse and treat them with the solution and buff the outside. The reamer is for removing the built up carbon which you'd want to do with someone else's pipes. No telling what they had in there. Once you get your bowl clean you can start building up the carbon from your favorite tobacco. Then I'm told it's best to leave about a 1/16" of carbon if you need to scrape it out so it has a good base.

There's lots more to it and I'm just learning but pipes.org is an awesome site for information.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote