Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2003, 05:08 AM   #1
jaroth28
Herf Meister

2 reviews: Acid Def Sea and Don Tomas Candela

I tried these 2 smokes this weekend for the 1st time, since it was so nice outside! I know they are primo gars but I thought I'd post my experience with them.

Don Tomas Candela (robusto 5x50)

Nice looking smoke, candela wrapper is faded instead of bright green as a definite sign of aging (according to CI it has an 18 year old wrapper!). Lit easily and burned well until about 1/3 down, then started to run. Attempted to fix, no luck. One part burned slower all the way down, made my gar look like a wilted flower! Also a soft spot down near the head. I didn't pitch it though, I was settled and said what the hell!! I'm finishing it! Taste was still pretty decent considering-VERY light cigar with a slight peppery flavor, but almost unintrusive, good for the morning which is when I had it. Volume of smoke was nice, not incredible. Overall I would say if you like the lightness of candela cigars, and the construction problems I had don't reoccur (I've got 2 more to test), then its a good value for the $$.

Acid Def Sea (perfecto-6x52)

I know many people are opposed to these on principle (no flavored gars!), but as a newbie, I didn't have any preconcieved notions as to what is considered good or bad. in the cigar world. Well I have to say I was impressed-this was an incredible looking cigar, flawless construction, toothy wrapper, I couldn't wait to light up! Well, I'm sitting there smoking and my brother in laws truck breaks down right in the strret in front of my apt! I could see him from the balcony where I was enjoying my smoke. So I go out to help, come back and the suckers still lit! I sat back and sighed in joy. I did run into a hard spot about halfway down, at that point there was some slight bitterness, but as I smoked thru the hard spot the gar got even better! More smoke volume too. I did not feel that the "flavored" aspect of this stick killed it. It wasn't like smoking a clove cigarette, or drinking flavored coffee (both of which I feel are overpowering). In fact to me it seemed like the "flavored" if you can even call it that, was barely there. Now I admit, I had this gar in the humidor for a good 3 months, and when I first got them out of the package the did smell "different". Maybe the time in the dor smoothed it out? But I WILL be smoking these again, and to me thats the sign of a good gar.
jaroth28 is offline   Reply With Quote