Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

HBD Reviews La Tradicion Cabinet Series Perdomo Reserve “R”

Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sungrown Rosado
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 5 x 50

This incredible collection of distinctive cigars is a special blend of double-aged Cuban-seed tobaccos grown in the thick, nutrient-rich soil of the Perdomo family farm in Esteli, Nicaragua. Production is limited to only the most experienced tabaqueros, and the sun-grown Rosado and triple-fermented Maduro wrappers are inspected and handpicked by Nick Perdomo, Sr. himself.

My Review:

I smoked this last Saturday evening. This smoke has an attractive wrapper. The cap was separating slightly on one corner, but once clipped, made no difference. This cigar was not as pretty as the Dos Rios “Esplendido” I smoked at HFF III, but is still pleasing to behold.

The cigar clipped cleanly and easily with my curved, double guillotine cutter. The draw was quite acceptable. On my draw scale, 1 - sucking on a straw and 5 like sucking on a rock, I would give it a 3.0. Nothing discernable from the pre-light toke.

The foot was roasted with my torch and after a few moments to get in to the smoke, the herfing was underway. My first impression is a very pleasent smoke. Mild to medium bodied with some small number of flavors coming together to produce an appealing yet undefineable taste. This quality stayed pretty much the same throughout the rest of the smoke.

The ash was a black-grey-white mix with tiny cracks. The first half-inch fell into the ashtray rather easily when I set the smoke down. I had to touch-up the burn 3-4 times during the course of the herfage.

Overall, this was a nice cigar. I would certainly smoke this again with no hesitation even though it did not impress me as much as other Perdomo cigars. I have another to smoke at a future date and I'll see what if anything changed at that time.

I have yet to try the "X" or #5 in maduro. Perhaps in the future that will change.

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote